Author Topic: Create shortcut  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Create shortcut
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Please do not be frightened!

Bookmarks are very, very easy to use. When you add a bookmark, the system suggests a name for the bookmark, just edit the suggestion to make sure it makes sense for YOU, sometimes the suggestions are very long winded and a bit  odd!

Open up Firefox, then go to the bookmarks at the top and scroll down until you find the site you want to visit.  Click and off you go.

Eventually you can get a long list, so they do not all display, but at the bottom and top of the list are little arrows to scroll up or down accordingly

What makes bookmarks so easy is that you are always in control.

Needless to sat RC is in my bookmark list and I am onto the site within a second!

Good luck
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
To create a shortcut on the desktop do this. Copy the link that is showing in your browser. Go to the desktop and create a new shortcut by right clicking. From the window that opens paste in the link and click ok. You can rename afterwards as you have done in the past.

Your Firefox bookmarks are accessed by clicking on the little drop down arrow in the square box with the star in it at the top right hand side. Find the bookmark and click on it to open the webpage.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Midsae,
               You mentioned that little downward pointing arrow.      It is so small I never bothered with it before, but I clicked it, and apparently I have five or six items on a list.       I clicked one of them and it opened the site -one of my icon sites.       I could identify it before opening it too.
I think I am getting there.....   

Maybe when I switched from IE to Firefox at the beginning of the week, some items somehow found their way there.       If all I need to do is click that little arrow, then choose from what is there, it would be easy, and as you all say, I would tidy up my desktop that way.

I will have a look at this again tomorrow, and see if I can get other items onto Bookmark.        But there is a snag that I saw someone mention somewhere.       When you try to put something to Bookmark on Firefox, there are two Bookmarks it can go to, and apparently it goes to the wrong one first.       

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 September 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
Firefox may well have imported any bookmarks from IE. To bookmark a site all you need do is either right click on the web page that you are on where you will see the option to Bookmark the page, or simply click on the star icon to the far right in the address bar. I don't understand about bookmarks being put in the wrong place, I simply ask it to bookmark the site and it ends up in my long list.

I actually use an add-on called speed dial. This allows you to have multiple shortcuts and is set as your home page. I think that is a wonderful thing to have and I currently have 20 sites available, you can specify what you want to suit your needs. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial/?src=search

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi doddsie4
I changed to Firefox yesterday and your post showed me I didn't know how to do a shortcut and like you I like shortcuts on my desktop.

So I googled the problem.

First of all,  to make your web site page smaller click on the two squares between the minus sign and the red cross in top right hand corner of page. This reduces the page without it disappearing completely.

You will find the favicon next to the back arrow [on the left hand end of the location bar (address bar)] 
Click and hold on the favicon and drag onto the desktop to create a shortcut.

Worked a treat for me.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 September 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
    Lot of confusion in my mind about the FAVICON on Firefox.       I googled it and it is supposed to be a small red house - is that right?      Well, when you google: "Show me the Favicon on Firefox.    What does it look like?",  you get folk saying that Firefox have stopped using it.       But it still showed what it looked like.

I don't have this small red house at all.         I have seen what it looks like but I don't have it.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 September 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
First of all,  to make your web site page smaller click on the two squares between the minus sign and the red cross in top right hand corner of page. This reduces the page without it disappearing completely.

I had already mentioned that to doddsie4 who said she couldn't do it because the white square doesn't appear as she has the screen so large.  I didn't understand that, because as far as I'm concerned there is always the minus, the white square and the red cross in the top right hand corner.

If I have a photo on the screen which fills it completely so that the white square can't be seen, I just press escape and that reduces the size of the photo.

Lizzie

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
   Can I just explain the way I think you place the shortcut on Bookmark, because it differs greatly from what I have been told so far...

You bring up the page of the site you want to make a shortcut to.     You look for the yellow star in the bar at the top of the page.      Click that.
A box appears:
                             EDIT THIS BOOKMARK.

You rename the site in a way that is best identified by yourself.     You click the down arrow of folder.       You select BOOKMARK MENU.      Click that.

Now to check it out, you go back to the small downward arrow right next to the yellow star.      Click that and you see that the newly created shortcut has been added to your list (if you have already created others) of old shortcuts.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:14 BST (UK) »

Now to check it out, you go back to the small downward arrow right next to the yellow star.      Click that and you see that the newly created shortcut has been added to your list (if you have already created others) of old shortcuts.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

I would then click on Bookmarks at the top, the drop down box will appear and you should see your chosen webpage saved there.

What I didn't know was if you clicked on the star it bookmarked the page. I've always clicked on the Bookmark at the top and saved it that way !

This is also turning into an education for me and I've had Firefox for years !  :-[ ;D

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk