Author Topic: Searching for John Bolton Sampson  (Read 921 times)

Offline katincornwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for John Bolton Sampson
« on: Thursday 13 September 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for John Bolton Sampson b Q2 1882 in St Olave, Southwark.  Both his parents, Charles Troughton Sampson and Minnie Edith Bolton, died within weeks of each other in 1885 and by the 1891 census he was residing with his uncle and aunt, Thomas Herbert Crump and Alma Philadelphia nee Sampson in Camberwell.  Also at the address is his grandfather, John White Sampson.  By 1901, John senior is married again and living in Yorkshire, and although I have been unable to find him on the 1901 census, I have located his marriage and death in 1905, both in Yorkshire.  There is however no further trace of John junior.  I have searched for possible deaths and drawn a blank.  I have also thought maybe, as he was living with the Crumps at a young age, he could have been adopted by them and taken their name.  Again, I have had no luck looking for a John Bolton Crump.  There is also no trace of him with his other family, his mothers sister and my g g grandmother Louisa Clara Smith nee Bolton.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest where else I might look. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Bolton Sampson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Emigration or military service might be another reason why he's not on the 1901. No legal adoption at the time as such, but he could have easily chosen to take another name.  Or have dropped his middle name.  Alma Philadelphia Crump died in 1892; I wonder if another of the family took John on at that time.

I can see the John White Sampson marriage in 1901 in Sculcoates on freebmd; is the 1893 marriage also him?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27823/pages/5333/page.pdf
 - maybe check the address that John White Sampson lived at when he died in the 1901 census?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Will- John White Sampson

95 Lambert St Kingston -upon-Hull died 10/3/1905 Princes Road Kingston-upon-Hull
Admin. 23/6/1905 to Elisha John Sampson Commercial Traveller  £30

There is a John Sampson on the Canadian 1911 census but I do not have access.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
1901 Census  10 Egerton Road Greenwich

Elisha 53 wid Commercial Traveller born Deptford
Edith M 31 Sydenham
Maud B 27     "
Elisha P 16 Rotherhithe

Elisha Snr. married Mary Pearson Guthrie 21/3/1869 St.Paul Deptford

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katincornwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Re the marriage in Brighton in 1893.  I hadn't even seen that one!  I guess it could be something to do with John White and typically both marriage indexes, 1893 and 1901 show potential spouses as being called Ada!  Can't find John W on the 1901 census, but have found him on the London Electoral roll with a yard and stables at Beckenham, Kent in 1900.  Doubt this was his actual residence though!  Now to try and find out which one, or even both marriages relate to him. I knew about his will and have Elisha in my tree and have traced him and his family down, but still no sign of John B.  Have checked the Canadian 1911 census as suggested above, but none of the potential John's seemto fit.