Author Topic: The Manse, Summerhill Road, Coseley  (Read 5834 times)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Manse, Summerhill Road, Coseley
« on: Thursday 13 September 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Please can anyone point me in the direction of an image of the Manse, Summerhill Road, Coseley c1910 or so?

I've been googling and can't find if it still exists and nor have I found any old photos or postcards of it.

thanks,
Lisa

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Manse, Summerhill Road, Coseley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi presume you are searching re a Rev Frederick Wynn who in the 1912 Kellys Directory was at this address, which on further searching seems to be/was at  2 Summerhill Road Coseley, hope you get the photo or better info as I am not from the area!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi presume you are searching re a Rev Frederick Wynn who in the 1912 Kellys Directory was at this address, which on further searching seems to be/was at  2 Summerhill Road Coseley, hope you get the photo or better info as I am not from the area!
Keyboard86

Thanks Keyboard86,
Yes, he lived there around that time, and then the family moved to Himley Rd, Dudley.
Thanks for the number, I didn't know that and have now had a look along all of Summerhill Rd on google maps and it doesn't look like the houses of that era would still be there.
'The Manse' sounds rather grand as a house name, and on the 1911 census, he says they have 10 rooms.

I don't know the area either.

thanks,
Lisa

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Lisa ' A Manse' was the home of the local Methodist Minister, they all lived in Manses' back then!

Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Lisa ' A Manse' was the home of the local Methodist Minister, they all lived in Manses' back then!

Linell.

Thanks,  I came across a few other Manses elsewhere while googling.  Many appear to have become guest houses or B&B.

Lisa

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, yes that's right, all gone now I would think, poor Ministers have to find their own homes, like we do!  Take care from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Nickyjt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 March 13 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I knew this building well as my step mother lived there as a child. It was demolished after her parents died. They have since built many houses on the plot. If you can get on google earth for summerhill road the Manse was joined to two shops, grocery store and chip shop in recent years and then there was a pub to the right of those.
It was a huge building. The family ran a florists for a few years at the front of the building.
Hope this helps a little.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 13 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I knew this building well as my step mother lived there as a child. It was demolished after her parents died. They have since built many houses on the plot. If you can get on google earth for summerhill road the Manse was joined to two shops, grocery store and chip shop in recent years and then there was a pub to the right of those.
It was a huge building. The family ran a florists for a few years at the front of the building.
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks Nickyjt,
your description is really helpful, I have some small photos from about 1910 or so of a house which I thought might be the Manse, but that would have been detached standing in its own ground/gardens.  I'll have a look at them again to refresh my mind. 

Lisa

Offline Nickyjt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the direction the photo was taken it could appear to be detached. If you could email me the photo I would be more than happy to say if it looks like the same building for you. (*)
Kind regards x

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.