Author Topic: Waterloo House Academy, Sydney, 1816.  (Read 1856 times)

Offline ROSJAN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterloo House Academy, Sydney, 1816.
« on: Friday 14 September 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with any information regarding the Waterloo House Academy situated in Cumberland Street Sydney according to a advertisement in the saturday 1st June 1816 edition of The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser. The school was to be opened by a Mr. William Brown and his wife who I believe are my ancestors. Thanking you.
Regards,
Rosjan.

Offline dylansmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo House Academy, Sydney, 1816.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
I found this on the New South Wales Archives database search under Teacher's Rolls.

Surname:BROWN
Firstname:William
Roll:2
Page:0930
Reel:1992
Series:NRS 4073: Teachers' Rolls, 1869-1908

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is relevant ...?
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32142822

Mrs. Brown re-opens her Academy at the residence built by Mr Cooper the architect, one of the best houses, and certainly the most healthy and picturesque situation in the Town of Sydney. Mrs. Brown is a lady, who, owing to her manners and accomplishments, deserves the public patronage in the highest degree. She for a long time gave private tuition to the daughters of Mr Justice Dowling, Mr Campbell of Bligh-street, &c.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline ROSJAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 12 06:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I will follow these up and see what I find.
Regards,
Rosjan.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosjan
Attached is the Teachers Roll from State Archives at Kingswood.
William Brown married Miss Ethel J. Ellis on 16/1/1900. If this is your line then I would suggest further research, as Kingswood holds a lot of information on teachers eg “Teacher Application”, “Exam Results” and even “ Administration Files” containing correspondence, just to name a few.

Good Luck with your research
Cheers :)
cupoflife

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
Ummmm, there seems to be a bit of confusion about dates  ???

Rosjan, you did post 1816, didn't you?

Ann  ;D ;D
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Link to 1816 advertisement
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0r3h/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROSJAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. The William Brown on the teachers roll is not my William as my William Brown died in Sydney in December 1852. The date of the advertisment in the newspaper is Saturday the 1st June 1816, page 2. The Paper was the The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser.
Regards,
Rosjan.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 12 04:03 BST (UK) »
The William Brown on the teachers roll is not my William as my William Brown died in Sydney in December 1852.

Hi there,

I have been adding information to your thread regarding the Patent Slip Wharf 1840-1850 re your William Francis BROWN  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,619824.0.html

But, here, on this current thread  you  note that William BROWN died in December 1852, and I can see a burial record is found in the Early Church Records that the NSW BDM lists (1852, Vol 106,  Line 1075).   I would not expect that record to provide any information about family members for him, as it is not a civil registration. 

Perhaps  you can confirm the 1852 record is  for a burial for  William Horatio BROWN, as per your thread  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,577012.0.html

In Sydney Town in the 1840s there were quite a number of families with the surname BROWN.  Many had been in NSW for several generations.  Brown was also often an assumed surname for those who were avoiding any social issues regarding any convict forebears.  It was of course quite a popular surname.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.