Author Topic: Eileen Hazel Gurr b1922  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eileen Hazel Gurr b1922
« on: Saturday 15 September 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth of the above lady, according to her death record, she was born 13/9/1922 and died May 1998 at Maidenhead her surname was then Ralph. She married Walter Ernest Ralph 4th qtr 1940 at Camberwell, London.
Both Eileen and Walter are named in the probates of William Henry James Gurr in 1950 and Maud Annie Gurr nee Card in 1964-so I'm presuming there is a relationship between them but as yet I've been unable to find it.
William H J W Gurr was previously married to Lucy Ann nee Chambers 1865-1907, and he then married Maud Annie Card in 2nd qtr 1908 at Steyning, Sussex.
Help!
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eileen Hazel Gurr b1922
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Eileen could have been born in Canada.   Have found her arriving from there on 10/3/1930 on the 'Metagama'.   The full entry reads:

Florence Gurr     30      Housewife
Rodney Gurr    9
Eileen Gurr 8

Destination address given in England in 'Boxford P.O., Suffolk'.

Don't know is this is same Florence or a 'red herring' but a Florence Nellie Gurr, aged 21, housewife left the UK and arrived in Canada 19/9/1919.

If the marriage of Florence took place in England the only one I can find was of a Florence E. (Ellen ie. Nellie??) Cuffley to a Charles R. Gurr in Mar.qtr.1915 Croydon but she'd only have been around 16/17.

So what is the connection to the Suffolk village of Boxford I wonder?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,
Well spotted-I missed that one, I suppose it's a possibility, pity there aren't any family members on here to know whether Eileen Ralph spoke with a Canadian accent!
Thank you,
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 September 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
William Henry GURR married Lucy Ann Chambers in Sep qtr 1902, Croydon. Did they have any children. No children indicated in 1911 with Maud.

He had a brother George Albert born 31 Mar 1872, who married Lizzie Florence SANDS in 1899. They had two children Marjorie Sarah 1901 and Frederick George 1906. Marjorie did not marry until 1937. Could she be Eileen's mother.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
I'm aware of his brother's family as they're on my family tree but can find no record of Eileen Hazel Gurr being born to another Gurr and the initial H doesn't appear anywhere in the birth records!
Cr

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
Have been following through on the Eileen b.1922 coming from Canada.   Have worked out the Gurr family she came from but can find no connection to William Henry James Wigmore Gurr.

Lots of notes too copious to list all here right now - the end result being she was the dau. of Stuart/Stewart (varies from record to record) Gurr who married Florence N. Hills Dec.qtr.1918 Cosford, Suffolk.   They both went to Canada in 1919 he a couple of months earlier.   I'm guessing that Stuart/Florence separated/divorced when she came back with the children in 1930.   It looks like she stayed here but son Rodney S. obviously went back because a border crossing 1938 shows him as a student of Edmonton, Alberta visiting a friend in New Jersey - his nearest relative shown as Stuart Gurr.   Found Eileen - last address Wissington Fox, Nayland - going to Canada 1939 although age given as 19 when she was only 17 but clearly back here by 1940.

Her mother - Florence Nellie Gurr b.1/6/1799 d. Jun.1995 Colchester.

Stuart Gurr was the son of a Charles Gurr bc.1850 Shoreditch, son of a Henry, and Elizabeth Edwards bc.1853 Stowmarket, Suffolk - he was born 16/7/1893 (not 1892 as Canadian records show) in South Hackney - he and his mother went to Canada in 1907 and Stuart served with the Canadian Forces in WW1 and presumably how he met Florence.  However, following back on Charles Gurr I can find no connection between him and WHJWG.   

Whilst I feel that Eileen Hazel Gurr is the Eileen from Canada (no births in Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales) could it maybe be just one of life's coincidences that Walter Ralph's wifes maiden name was Gurr?   One could go round and round in circles here - it seems to me your only option is to get the marriage certificate of Walter and Eileen to establish her fathers name.   If it is Stuart then it would seem the 'Gurr' connection is indeed just a coincidence but if it is another name that will at least enable you to try and find said person who will hopefully link to WHJWG.   

A real conundrum!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,
My word you have been busy researching the Canada and UK for the answers.
Thank you once again. Perhaps getting the marriage cert would be the way to go.
Cr

Offline Neilo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Cockneyrebel.

My name is Neil Clement and William H J W Gurr was my granduncle as my grandfather , George Albert Gurr was his younger brother. I too have found no children by WJHW Gurr from both of his marriages. My mother, Marjorie Sarah Gurr b. 1901 only referred to him as the 'black sheep of the family' but I was too young at the time to ask the reason. I have alot of information on George Gurr who I knew well until he died when I was 16.

I am sorry I cannot shed any light on Eileen but I tend to agree with other contributors that she is unlikely to be linked with WHJW Gurr although some Gurr's must have spent alot of time covering their tracks.
Regards,
Neil