Author Topic: Photographs of County Clare gentry c.1900  (Read 2268 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photographs of County Clare gentry c.1900
« on: Saturday 15 September 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
I've been looking for photographs of Ellen Bindon and her husband Joseph Hall J.P who lived in Clooney from around 1860 until their deaths in 1906 and 1916.  There are photos of the Vandeleurs, Inchiquins and other seemingly wealthy locals on the Clare library website, but no named photos of Joseph and Ellen.
I'll be in Ireland in November and I'm wondering where I might find other sources of photographs.
Any suggestions gratefully received ...

Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of County Clare gentry c.1900
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
I'm probably not of much help to you, but I was thinking that if you posted some of the pictures that you had on the Photo Restoration and Dating . board on here then you may be able to get a clue of where the photographs were taken (you may be lucky!)  and the date of the photographs - from that you may be able to get help on who the photographer was and see if there is an archive of that studio or not somewhere.

The best source of photographs of course is the family line itself, so your trip to the ancestral home in November may uncover some great gems for you.

Wishing you the luck of the Irish (even though I'm Welsh),
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for yr response, but unfortunately i have no photos to work with.
But your idea of locating the local ennis photography studio is a great one, i will follow it up and hope something turns up,
Cheers,
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline declanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 23 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching Burton Bindon and his family. Have you seen the photo's on the Halls on Facebook ? Thank you, Declan Barron

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 23 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks yes I found Joseph and Ellen's photos on facebook a few months ago, so pleased to know what they looked like at last!