Author Topic: Wiliam KING and Susannah SHULVER  (Read 5926 times)

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wiliam KING and Susannah SHULVER
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out about the parents of my gt gt gt granparents as I have come to a full stop.
I got the names of William King and Susannah Shulver from their daughter Emma King's birth certificate. She was born 1839 Monks Eleigh.  I have all the census for William's and his children and there are no other family members on them.

I found a baptism on familysearch for:

William King
born 20 Nov 1804
bap 12 April 1805 Polstead
mother Susanna King no father's name - does this point to William being illagitimate?

There is a familysearch 1834 marriage in Ipswich for a William Hicks King and Susannah Shulver.
I have taken this marriage to be right as it ties in nicely for the birth of their first son William.

I have tried looking for a King and Hicks marriage thinking that Hicks could be the mother's name?

That is all the info I have and, unfortunately, I have been unable to find out anything about Susannah because she died before the 1851 census.  William and the children  moved from Monks Eleigh to Ipswich so I wonder if there was family support there maybe from Susannah's side?

Thanks
Carole  ;D
SUSSEX: GANDER, HARMES, BURTENSHAW, HEASMAN, CHATFIELD
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS
KINGS LYNN: ASSELL, THURSTON
SUFFOLK: HENLEY , DARE
KENT: ASH, STICKLES
LONDON/MIDDX: HARMES, PIERPOINT, ASSELL, COWLAND, SMART, STRONG,
ESSEX: PIERPOINT, COWLAND,  OLLEY, ALIAS HICKS/KING
AUSTRALIA: ALIAS HICKS KING
CANADA: AYERS

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wiliam KING and Susannah SHULVER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 07:31 BST (UK) »
From the Suffolk Burial Index
Susan KING (Alias Hicks) buried 8 Dec 1850 age 40 Monks Eleigh, St Peter.

Trouble is the dates don't tie in for it to be William H's mother but she could well be related to him.

The Suffolk Marriage Index confirms the marriage you found on familysearch
William Hicks KING & Susannah SHULVER 24 Mar 1834 Ipswich, St Matthew.

Also found this entry that may be of interest at some point
Susannah SHULVER of Lanes Court, Ipswich St Nicholas, buried 26 Dec 1853 age 67 Ipswich, St Nicholas.

K

ps.  Wonder if this could be his mother right sort of age & abode.  Perhaps you can you find her on CRs?

Susan HICKS, abode Ipswich, St Matthew, buried 2 Sep 1874 age 97, Hintlesham, St Nicholas

1871CR Susan HICKS Ipswich district age 90 c1781

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for all the info especially about Susan KING alias Hicks.  It got me thinking so I did a familyseach for Hicks.  I couldn't find Susan but I did find a William HICKS/HICKES b 22 Oct 1805 Polstead, parents Philip HICKS & Mary KING.  There is a brother John b 1803. 

There is also the original birth record for William KING b 1805, Polstead, mother Susannah King no father's name but I am starting to doubt this now.

The plot thickens with the following births for possible siblings: Thomas KING 1801 Polstead & Henry KING b 1817 in the Cosford/Polstead Workhouse, parents Philip KING & Mary.

Then there are these three births all Polstead: 1) Philip KING 1824 parents Philip HICKES KING
2) Elizabeth, Mary Anne KING 1828 and Eliza HICKES KING parents Philip HICKES KING & Ann.

I am now confused.com   ??? ha ha and wonder if they are all and the same although the father of the later 3 births might be the son of Philip even though I don't have a record I bet there was a 1st son Philip or it could be Philip snr and he continued having children later in life and re married?

I have also found criminal records for a Philip King  b abt 1776 convicted in 1805 and then in 1829  he is alias Hicks convicted for 7 yrs. He is on the Leviathan Hulk both accounts for larceny. 

I am starting to think that the parents for William are Philip HICKES and Mary KING and that maybe the name was changed to KING after his dubious doings. I wonder if that is them in the workhouse?

I did look on the 1841 CR for Monks Eleigh and there is a Mary KING age 65 so she is born the right date to be our Mary KING.

I think Susannah SHULVER is spot on.  In 1851 she, her husband William and kids are living in Currier's Lane the same as William and his family so it looks like he went back to Ipswich for family support when his wife Susannah SHULVER died. 

Thanks again
Carole

CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
I looked at Monks Eleigh parish register baptisms 1836-1842 but no King entries, sorry  :(

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for looking at the Monks Eleigh baptisms although William KING b abt 1805 was originally from Polstead. I am wondering if they went by the name of HICKES because the family appear to have taken the mum's name of KING when the father got into trouble for larceny. I have found a John HICKS KING b 1803 and I would think that there will be an older brother call Philip named after the father but I can't find one on family search  :-[

By any chance do you have the Monks Eleigh burial records and are there any HICKES/HICKS or KING burials. Inparticular, for the father Philip KING alias HICKES  and his wife/partner Mary KING. I haven't found a marriage for them.

There is a burial on 8th Dec 1850 for a Susan KING alias Hicks which I think could be William's sister. 
This might help me identify other siblings ;D

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
I don't have any parish registers, sorry. I looked at the baptisms at the records office  :).

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Awe thanks again that was so kind of you to do that ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Crikey, this is a sticky one!

Right, first off, I believe the Susan buried 1850 Monks Eleigh is the wife of your William (not his sister).

You mention a Philip Hickes King who was living in Polstead - he was bc.1798 Chelsworth, Suffolk and I found the baptism which only muddied the water further at first:

Philip Hicks bp.8/12/1798 Chelsworth, son of Philip Hicks and Mary Underwood.

then we have:

John Hickes b.15/5/1803, bp.24/7/1803 Polstead, son Philip Hickes and Mary King
William Hickes b.22/10/1805, bp.25/5/1806        ditto

A Mary Underwood was bp.21/6/1778 Chelsworth dau. of Elizabeth Underwood (i.e. illegitimate).  

Philip Hicks King married Mary Underwood 19/4/1798 Polstead. per familysearch.

A term of 7 years would suggest that Philip King (alias Hicks or whatever) was transported and this looks to be the case.

He obviously didn't behave once in Australia as in 1842 he is shown as being in Darlinghurst Gaol, New South Wales - he is shown as having arrived in 1832 on the 'Lady Faversham'.

In 1841/1851 a Mary King is in Monks Eleigh bc.1778 Chelsworth - she is shown as married and Bricklayers wife.    This ties in with the Mary Underwood baptism there and suggests that Philip was a bricklayer - unless aware of his death she would indeed still state she was married.

So, Mary was not a King, she was originally Underwood, and it is Philip who, for the most part, was Philip Hicks King who appears to have been bc.1775.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for unscrambling my head.

I have managed to get a good profile for Philip King Alias Hicks with lots of convict records and info.

He seems to be a serial larcenist with the first conviction in Oct 1805 abt the same time as the birth of son William. There was a random record for a Philip HICKS alias KING for larceny in Essex, which I bet is him :D  The 1829 7 yr transportation was for stealing tongue! He obviously re offended when he was in NSW because he was on an iron gang for 6 months at Parramater. He then went to Darlinghurst after it opended  in June 1841.  He got his freedom in May 1842 and there is a death record for a Philip King in 1844 Sydney, which there is a good chance it is his.  I also found an entry  in the Lady Feversham medical journal too.  His convict records say that he was a bricklayer/plasterer.  So I am one happy bunny as that was such fun  :D

I have also followed through with the son Philip Hicks b 1878.  He was also a bricklayer and married Ann SMITH.  They had a daughter Eliza.  Intrestingly, on the 1851 census Philip is calling himself Philip HICKS KING.  So that ties all in nicely and confirms it all.

I chuckled to see on the Monks Eleigh census for Mary KING that she had a Policeman lodger!

So onwards and upwards to the UDERWOODS now as I am not sure I will be able to take Mr Philip KING alias HICKS back because there is nothing to set me off on the trail as yet. 

Thanks again for all your help it was much appreciated  ;D

Carole