Author Topic: Titanic - Daily Mirror  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
Titanic - Daily Mirror
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Clearing out an old box of papers I came across four copies of the Daily Mirror dated April 1912 covering the Titanic.  Because of the good condition of them I cannot believe they are original and I have no recollection of their origins.  Does anyone know if the Daily Mirror did a reprint in later years?   I intend to offer them to anyone with an interest on Unwanted Artifacts but would like know what to tell prospective new owners.  (free of charge of course)
Thanks  :) (I hate to throw anything away if it can be used by anyone else)
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Titanic - Daily Mirror
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
I see to remember a series of "Great Newspapers Reprinted" some years ago?
Late 70's? Early 80's?

Remember collecting them myself!

Added a link, I know it's a commercial site, but this is for interest only!
ebay
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aelfric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
There was a reprint in the Mirror, I think in 1997 to coincide with the film.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 September 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Errrr...just before you offer them to anyone, I would make sure that they are reprints, in which case they are worth about £3-4 each.  If they are originals they are worth a lot of money.  For instance on ebay at the present time there is a picture of the Titanic berthed at Southampton.  The asking price is £500.
Anything, absolutely anything, connected to the Titanic fetches as massive premium.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you take them to a local (but if possible well known) auction house (rather than a dealer) who will look at them for you and will be able to tell you if they are original or not.

I have a newspaper (now framed) declaring the end of WW1, this was found underneath the wallpaper in the bottom of a drawer in my grandmothers, the lovely thing is the papershop wrote the name 'Fowler' in pencil on the border of the paper which means it was for my g/grandfather..

As said before just because it does not look old does not mean it isn't.  My own newspaper is in almost pristine condition.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't there be some indication on the 'paper' somewhere if it is a reprint? Have you read the paper from cover to cover to look for clues? It seems odd that there would be four issues of the same paper if they were reprints ....

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
That series I mentioned "Great Newspapers Reprinted" purported to be on (as near as possible) the same paper.

The whole newspapers were reprinted, not just the "interesting" bits.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your advice :)  I notice that the ones I have do not have a 'day' printed as well as the date, unlike originals.  So no Antarctic cruise for me instead I'm off to Unwanted Artifacts :)
Thanks again :)
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire