Author Topic: Grave with several newborn children  (Read 2300 times)

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grave with several newborn children
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
In the mid sixties, I have found the record (and grave ) of a child family member (who died at only a few hours) buried with three other non-related children who also died when a few hours old

I found this surprising as the family were reasonably affluent and could have easily afforded a separate grave

Has anyone come across this as recent as 1966?

Thanks
Rich

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave with several newborn children
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
I`m wondering if the baby died at the maternity hospital and if that is so  it could well have been a burial organised by that hospital.Sadly even in the sixties many mothers were not encouraged to see or hold their dead babies and were not really allowed to properly grieve. The thinking then was that just don`t talk about it and it will be forgotten all the sooner ! ! How cruel and insensitive.
The baby would be buried in a plot kept open for such tiny babies and would not be with family  members.All the arranging would be done by the hospital I`m sure.
Nowadays the baby would have a proper funeral and the parents would have nursed it and taken photographs and it would have been treated as what it was, a tiny human being.
At Church we knit tiny garments for premature babies who don`t survive. Little desses and even tiny lacy pockets for those too tiny for even doll`s size clothes. We make tiny teddies , even those at four inches are as big as the babies we are told. It gives the baby dignity and some comfort to the parents to know the baby was regarded as  a baby . Viktoria.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Grave with several newborn children
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
Another way of burying these babies was just to put the body in the coffin of a totally unrelated adult.  It is probable that neither families were aware of this.

Lizzie