Author Topic: House numbers in Higher Ardwick in 1800's  (Read 822 times)

Offline CISSIE88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
House numbers in Higher Ardwick in 1800's
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
Just wondered if anyone could suggest how I find out the correct numbers of houses in Ardwick Manchester. I have tried looking at the historical directories but the numbers seem to be different depending on which directory you look at.

Also does anyone know when the Union Inn, Ardwick was first opened as a pub. I am sure years ago I found somehting about its history and how it had been 3 houses knocked into 1 building, the pub, but I cannot find this website now.

Any information will be gratefully received,
Thanks
Cissie

Offline bazzuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: House numbers in Higher Ardwick in 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 02:03 BST (UK) »
2 story clifton house ( no.41) was next to the union pub and the 3 story raha house  (no 43 )  in 1976 the landlord of the union inn was in trouble with the brewery watney mann for opening the pub two hours late in the morning becaise of poor trade as a result of the the slum clearance on the 22nd of march he opened at the offial time of 11am and by closing time 3pm only seven customers had called in

Offline CISSIE88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: House numbers in Higher Ardwick in 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bazzuk,
Thank you for the information about the Union Inn.  I visited Ardwick a couple of years ago and it was a curry place?? It is sad there isn't much around it now.
What I really wanted to find out was the number in about 1850's. I have a feeling it was number 25 & 27. Also where was number 18 Higher Ardwick in 1840's?

Thanks
Cissie