Author Topic: Talgarth to Llangors  (Read 7313 times)

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Talgarth to Llangors
« on: Monday 17 September 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

For many years, way before I commenced family history research, my late grandmother was insistent that our family somehow managed to lose a lot of land in the Talgarth/Llangors Lake area  ::)

Rumours of documentation being taken across the sea to Canada were abound - somehow, reportedly down to ignorance or the like these documents remained in Canada - where, I know not

I took all of this with a huge pinch of salt until I commenced researching all the family lines when things became a little more interesting  :o

My grandfathers mother was Sarah Ann Prosser who was born in Blaenafon, Mon in 1868, the daughter of a Thomas Prosser (b Llanelly, Brecs 1826) who was in turn the son of Samuel Prosser (b Talgarth circa 1785/6)

Samuel Prosser married Mary Price (also of Talgarth) but I don't know when or where this happened

The first born of the marriage was David Prosser (b 21 Dec 1819) and baptised at Dany Castle Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Crickhowell in 1826

One of my great grandmothers brothers was Thomas Henry Prosser (1870-1940) who emigrated to Canada in 1910  :o :o

I have gone down many roads to trying to trace back from Samuel Prosser (1785/6) in Talgarth but have always hit brick walls

For a while, I had convinced myself (wrongly so) that the Samuel Prosser at Great House, Talgarth was my ancestor, as did relations in the US descended from Thomas Henry Prosser

I am wondering where to go from here ..... noone in the US knows anything about any documents & I doubt that my 3 x ggf Samuel Prosser (1785/6) had them as he was still working as an iron breaker in the Forge at Llanelly, Brecs aged 65 years

I do know that Prosser was a common name in and around the said areas in the time I am researching

However, it would be interesting to find out more as, by the time of my dear grandmothers death the parcel of lost land had grown to the size of a small principality in the minds of some  ;D

Thank you for reading
Rich

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Talgarth to Llangors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Rich

There was a MARRIAGE at Talgarth Parish Church on 10th June 1811 by Banns of :
Samuel PROSSER (it doesn't say whether he was a bachelor or widower) and
Mary PRICE (Spinster) both of Talgarth Parish.
Neither could write as both signed by mark (with a x)
In the presence of Jonathan Parry & David Price
The curate was William Davies

There was a BAPTISM on 20 November 1813 at Talgarth Parish Church of a Ann Prosser
Parents : Samuel & Mary Prosser  (Samuel was a Labourer) and they were living at Pwllygwrach, Talgarth

I know that this does not answer all your questions but I hope the above helps a little.

Regards, Alltcafan  :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I'll definitely check that out

:)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
You could try the Powys Archive Service - manorial records, deeds, local histories...

http://www.powys.gov.uk/index.php?id=647&L=0

You never know what you might find!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
I often take my dog for a walk through the churchyard in Talgarth and have noticed there are a number of Prosser graves there.  I don't know if you live in the area or not, but if you don't have access to the churchyard I would be happy to check out and see if any of the graves tie up with the people you mention.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
I often take my dog for a walk through the churchyard in Talgarth and have noticed there are a number of Prosser graves there.  I don't know if you live in the area or not, but if you don't have access to the churchyard I would be happy to check out and see if any of the graves tie up with the people you mention.

Regards,
GS

I don't live a million miles away (Blaenafon) but find it difficult to get to Talgarth due to work commitments so any help you can give will be very appreciated

Thanks

Rich

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:09 BST (UK) »

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can do Rich;  I used to have friends who lived Forgeside - have spent many a happy weekend in Blaenafon!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk