Author Topic: Powell of Brecon  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powell of Brecon
« on: Tuesday 18 September 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for three brothers born Brecknockshire.  david 1776 (later a lawyer in Neath), William 1781 (a landowner at Batheaston) and Walter b. 1786 (in army and may be Lt. Colonel in Spain).

Can't find much about them or their origins.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Powell of Brecon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not sure waht info you are looking for?1841 census  931/2/33/24 the village of Batheaston
Walter with Brother William
 1851 census  piece 1611 folio 478 page 1 Chatham Kent
Walter Powell  unmarried b1784 Glynllech Breconshire aged 67yrs Colonel commandant of Royal marines
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Powell of Brecon
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cardiff
I had the Batheaston reference but not the later one.  That confirms my info re Walter Powell.  They seem to have been a well-educated group of brothers and I would like to find out what family they emanate from in Brecon.  The reference to Glynllech helps as I believe it was a small estate near Ystradgynlais.

Mart
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).