Author Topic: FH related books from Kindle  (Read 32391 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: FH related books from Kindle
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 December 20 17:54 GMT (UK) »
The first of Nathan Dylan Goodwin's Morton Farrier books Hiding the Past is currently on offer on Kindle at 99p. These offers are limited time so snap it up if you want it! I'd definitely recommend any of his books.

I've also recently finished reading The Ghost Tree by Barbara Erskine. It's not family history related in the way that those of Nathan Dylan Goodwin and Steve Robinson are but it is based around one of the author's ancestors. It's described as gripping historical fiction, I did enjoy it though I must say it's a very long book! If you decide to read it make sure you read the author's notes after you've read it, they're very interesting. Just don't read them before you read the book, it would spoil it.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 December 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roobarb. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 March 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Another non-fiction book now available for Kindle ...

The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million, by Daniel Mendelsohn

- his 2006 account of a search for information about relatives killed in the Holocaust. A long read, and a very good one.

(March 2021) On this recommendation I bought the paperback of this book in good condition.
I paid £3:50 for it and will send it on to anyone willing to pay that plus the postage.
Be warned, it is a long and gruelling book!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 March 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
The Last Queen of England by Steve Robinson is currently 99p on Kindle. Some deals seem to be only available for a very short time lately so be quick if you want it.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 March 21 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently reading the last Louise Penny book - All the Devils are here - which I got from Amazon Kindle (can't remember what it cost me) and eagerly awaiting the next one - The Madness of Crowds - which is due to be published in August this year.   Will no doubt be a while after that before it's available on Kindle.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 March 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Are they family history related Annette? From reading the descriptions they seem to be murder mysteries.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Are they family history related Annette? From reading the descriptions they seem to be murder mysteries.

You are right of course - sorry, I'd just read through the whole thread and on 30/11/2020 Chrissie L. had mentioned Louise Penny and her name was in my head, especially as I am currently reading her last one which I got from kindle.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 21 March 21 07:59 GMT (UK) »
No problem Annette, I just wondered if I was missing something, whether maybe the nature of the investigations was centred around family history. Always good to get book recommendations, perhaps we should have another thread for that.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 21 March 21 08:34 GMT (UK) »
No problem Annette, I just wondered if I was missing something, whether maybe the nature of the investigations was centred around family history. Always good to get book recommendations, perhaps we should have another thread for that.  :)

:) I think I got a bit over excited when I originally recommended them as they were a bargain on Kindle forgetting they weren't strictly family history related!  I am just awaiting the new Steve Robinson book 'The girl in the painting' which is a new Jefferson Tayte genealogical mystery.  I always enjoy his books so fingers crossed this will be just as good
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett