Author Topic: Pls decipher Inverness (?) places  (Read 1037 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Pls decipher Inverness (?) places
« on: Friday 21 September 12 06:37 BST (UK) »
This from Death Reg.  It is all readable for me except second column 4th line, and second column 6th line.  I believe they are place names.

The last bit (lines 6 &7), looks to me like "Cricklewood Lodgings".  Anyone else old enough to remember the Ten Years After album, "Cricklewood Green"?

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pls decipher Inverness (?) places
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
Line 4 1st column, "Established church"
Line 5 1st column "of Boleskine", I think "Cricklewood" is beginning with Auch******
Can't get line 4 second column.

Boleskine Lodge was the location of the lodge that Aleister Crowley a famous occultist lived and was later bouht by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, it is located close to Foyers on the south shore of Loch Ness

James

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks James... just interested in 2 lines noted of 2nd column because I am unfamiliar with place names in the Inverness area.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
Line 4 of Column 2 is "about 9h 0m [or a.m.] A.M."

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
I think the place name before "Lodgings" does begin with "Auch" and perhaps continues "lanad" or something like that  ???

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thak you Prue... I suppose if I was awake enough to think to look at my other death certs I would have realized it was a time, but still wouldn't have been able to read it.   :P

And I agree with you and James that is could well be Auch.. rather than Crick... after all, it IS Scotland.  I'll see if I can look at a detailed map of the area, but I suppose it could be the name of a lodging house rather than a village/town.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline ChristineM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Fasti has his death place as Achterneed (aka Auchterneed) - http://archive.org/stream/fastiecclesiu06scotuoft#page/445/mode/1up/search/445

Also came across this which relates to sequestration of his estate - www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/6819/pages/1271/page.pdf

Christine.
AUSTRALIA: Farrelly, Boland, Harte
IRELAND:  Boland (Tipp), Dempsey (Cavan), Farrelly (Meath), Guerin & Harte (Clare), McGivern & McKenna (Monaghan), Traynor
SCOTLAND:  Dempsey (Edin), Welsh (Forfar,Arbroath,Kirriemuir,Kincardine), Milne (Forfar,Dundee), Barron, Bisset (Montrose)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine.  Your search-fu is much stronger than mine, Cricket.TM  I had found the first ref, but in Google Books where it had not been scanned.  So I found that a nearby Uni Library had it, and 5 minutes before you posted I sent them a request to scan the page.  Guess I had best send a note to ignore.

I was directed to the Edinburgh Gazette article this morning from the Chisholm Genealogies International Forum, and have been following the leads from that until now (2:53 am).  The brother "Hugh" in Nova Scotia who is mentioned is one of my 3x great grandfathers.

I am putting together a Scavenger Hunt challenge for this family, so stay tuned.  There should be something to pique the interest of all my fellow genealogy nuts.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----