Author Topic: Naming two children in the same family with the same name  (Read 14438 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Naming two children in the same family with the same name
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 September 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
I have this in my maternal great-great grandparents family at the moment...they had 17 children that I know of and three of the children are named after siblings who had died a few years previous and then on another branch of the maternal side, there are two daughters named the same. It did get confusing, but once I wrote it out and knew who was who...it worked out ok, lol

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been driving myself mad with this problem from a family line in the late 1600's early 1700's. 11 children two Mary's, two Thomas, and two Ann's. I was convinced that I was making a mistake somewhere and mingling two families, even though they are all shown on one parish register which is clear and in good condition. I've spent hours on it and was about to give up and call it a day on that line, when I read an article on line by localpopulationstudies.org.uk which says that the practice was common in the 16th to 18th centuries. I was also heartened to find this thread which seems to suggest I'm not alone with this quandary. I will now have to decide whether I accept this and add the family to my tree. I often wish that this research could be easier with less puzzles, but I suppose then it wouldn't be so interesting. :)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 11:56 BST (UK) »
Infant and child mortality rates were high, even a chest infection could be fatal, rem no antibiotics. If an infant/child was poorly, a later sibling could be called by same name, in the hope that at least one would survive to carry the name.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 23 05:45 BST (UK) »
I would urge some caution, though.
You can have situations such as I encountered:
Two families in same townland. Two first cousins with same name, married to two sisters, children all with same sames...
Could look like a single family.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 23 07:40 BST (UK) »
I have one case in the United States - a daughter Lydia born in 1831 and then, from a second marriage, another Lydia born in 1842.  Both lived to adulthood and, in 1850, both were recorded living in the same household with their father and the second wife.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 September 23 08:51 BST (UK) »
Just an off beam observation from me on the subject -

A cousin used to work in Social Services about 4O years ago covering parts of far western Scotland.

I won’t use the real names but there was a family of, l’ll call them McDonald, who had three sons quite close to each other in age all called Donald. This was intended to confuse the establishment generally including the Police and Social Services. Apparently it worked!
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire