Author Topic: Another Inverness-shire town name  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Inverness-shire town name
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 September 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
I just had a problem and had to close my windows down.

THe NLS map was 'OS 6inch to the mile 1848-1882' (or that's the best I can remember - it may not be exact). I have had to close the map and did not note the distances, but all of the 'Tean' prefix names were close to Kiltarlity. The 'alaan' at the end of the word may have a meaning which might help find it's location? (eg. 'by a river' or some such thing?)

Linda, difficult to judge the men's attitude from these few words - it could be that the women were unknown (passers by, or out of towners who just happened to be there to witness the baptism). That's how I read it anyway. (but I could be wrong  :))

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 September 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
Try this Nick:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0r9p/

(I have no idea if it will take you to the appropriate part of the map, but I hope it does)

Yes, I just tried the link and it seems to work. You can just scroll around the area by dragging it with your mouse. I have it set on overlay which overlays a modern and old map. The map is centered on kiltarilty cottage. Teanassie is almost in a straight line to the left just over the river. THere are other "Tean" prefix places to the north somewhere.  :-\

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 September 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I wonder if the "Teana..." element is an Anglicised version of the Gaelic "Tigh na ..." (hope that's spelt right!) which I understand means "house of ..."

There's some interesting information on the website of the Scottish Place Name Society - http://www.spns.org.uk/ - follow the link to Resources towards the bottom of the home page, then go to "Index of Celtic and Other Elements in W.J.Watson's 'The History of the Celtic Place-names of Scotland'" for some pretty comprehensive lists.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 September 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Great list Arthur!

I can't see Tean, but Tea is on the list.

Also 'alan' meaning rock place stony stream, so I suppose we should be following all of the streams in the search for Teanaalan.  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 September 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
On the SPNS site, if you look at the entry for "tigh" (following the links I mentioned above), you'll see among other notes "Angl. tea..."  I'm taking this to mean that the Gaelic form is sometimes found Anglicised as "tea...", and I think it would be pronounced exactly the same. The "na" bit is found under "an" - as far as I can tell, this is something to do with Gaelic inflexions and how words change before or after vowels.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 September 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
I get a distinct feeling that a lot of small Scottish town/villages have simply disappeared in the past 100-200 years.  Is that correct?  I look at Scotland's Place website and usually can't find them.  Nor are they found through a Google search.

The first one is in Kilmorack parish  (1808) and is the name of the place that Hugh Munro's wife, Margaret Calder is from.  Looks to me like "Teanaalan".  Other names on this page that have the same initial letter seem to be "Teanafsie", "Torrogormack" and "Teachnuick".

The next image is just me complaining... I am quite sure it is a multi x greats gma's birth, but don't you love how the recorder just refers to the mother as "his spouse"?  "This day... bapt. Catherine, daughter of Hugh Munro, Tenant Kilcoy, and his spouse..."

Thanks,

Nick

looks to me like Jeana alan its defiantly a (J, )
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 September 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Found it!  And it is described in a brilliant resource by Simon Taylor, 2002, entitled Place name survey of Kilmorack, Kiltarlity & Convinth and Kirkhll, Inverness-shire (PDF)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ra5/

I think I will post it as a Scotland Resource link.

Thanks very much for all the help.  I still need to review some of the links that posted since I logged off early this am.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 September 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Using Ruskie's info from post at 12:18 (thanks!), and the very specific location of NH526475 from the Teanalan blurb I posted I was able to zoom in very close.  These two sources together are a great combination for people like me who like to make maps of where our ancestors lived.  See red dot for very close location of this house/farm former location.  I'll have to try to find on my favorite Google Earth.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 September 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you found the location of Teanalan Nick.

The Simon Taylor resource looks like it deserves a place in the Scotland Resources.

Arthur - I see what you mean about the Tea followed by the na.

You learn something new on rootschat every day.  ;D