Author Topic: James CAISLEY  (Read 1100 times)

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James CAISLEY
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:17 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information about James Caisley and family who I believe lived in Mutford, Lowestoft around 1890 - 1901.  They later moved to Hakin, Pembrokeshire sometime prior to 1911.  I believe his wife may have been named Georgina, middle initial "H" (possible maiden name Wyllie).  She was born in Maybole, Ayrshire about 1860.  She died Qtr3 age 67 in 1927 registered at Haverfordwest. James Caisley was born in Berwick on Tweed in 1860.  He is listed as Fish Merchant on the 1911 Census. He died in Qtr 1 age 90 in 1950 registered at Haverfordwest.  Any help in filling in details for the time in Mutford  will be most helpful.
UK: Mayne Knott, Knott, Freeman, Caisley, Uncles, Harvey, Palmer, Guest, Sheffield, Blackmore, Nicholls, Purves
US: Uncles, Breadney.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES CAISLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
In 1901 the family are in Sunderland and seem to have been in that area for a long time as all their children are born in the north.
RG13 4712 74 3

Why do you think they lived in Suffolk?

Regards
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see James is in Suffolk in 1891 but he is on his own.  The family are not with him.  Travelling to buy fish perhaps?  Lowestoft was a big port.
Wife and kids are in North Shields.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
You seem to be in luck with this family as there is a tree on Ancestry.co.uk which even has a photograph of James.    It says his wife was Georgina Purvis - though no date is given for the marriage.  It gives earlier census records too which tie in with the 1881 I have just found in Berwick on Tweed, which is free to search.  RG11 5131 53 35   Father Jeremiah and mother Emma.
Andrea

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Christening;
Georgina WYLLIE, 28 March 1860, Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Parents GEORGE/MARY
(Familysearch.Org)

A Tree has Georgina as nee PURVIS but no other info.

1871 Census has a Georgana PURVES c 1859, Marybole, Ayrshire with Parents WILLIAM/JANE
1871 Census has a Georgena WYLLIE with Parents in GEORGE/MARY in Marybole

The Marriage Cert is the way to confirm this.

1891 Georgina born c 1859 Marybole, Ayrshire + James 4/William 2/Gertrude 10mths, are in Tynemouth, Northumberland under CARSLEY

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Andrea and Trish.  I've been round the houses with this one - a number of times I might add.  James Caisley was my wife's paternal Gt Grandfather.  This information gives me some vital information to close out the family history.  We are travelling down to Pembrokeshire at the end of this month to see one of the last remaining relatives who may shed some more details on the family history.  We know that the Caisley's had a Fish Merchants business in Milford Haven which ceased trading in the 1960's.  We have a visit planned to Haverfordwest Library to search their local records while we are there.  I'll let you know how I get on.

David
UK: Mayne Knott, Knott, Freeman, Caisley, Uncles, Harvey, Palmer, Guest, Sheffield, Blackmore, Nicholls, Purves

Offline Clairewilliams963

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: James CAISLEY
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 22 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just come across this page whilst doing some family research.  My late father-in-law, George Williams was the son of Gertrude Caisley, brother of your James.  Hope you found what you were looking for

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
For anyone coming across this old thread, James Caisley married Georgina Hunter Purves 1884 Leith South, Scotland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for your reply. I have attached a link to my family history web site which you may find interesting, regards David

https://grandadsramblings.weebly.com