Author Topic: Lüneburg in the nineteenth century  (Read 1129 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lüneburg in the nineteenth century
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
 A long shot here.....but has anybody got any information about Lüneburg (Germany) in the nineteenth century/know of any books (in German would be OK) ? I've tried their tourist information but they're pretty useless....they can't supply any of their books by post anyway & don't know anything suitable. As Lüneburg's glory days were in the Middle Ages, I suspect they concentrate on that.

I've tried googling & have looked at the German Amazon/Abe Books sites without success.

Any tips for researching this area also welcome.

Thank you

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lüneburg in the nineteenth century
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 22:06 BST (UK) »

The Wikipedia entry has lots of info......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCneburg

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mc

Offline agj183

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are still seeking information on Luneburg, this may help.   

State Archives in Luneburg.  They carry official civic documents not births, deaths and marriages although they may have some BMDs for the couple of years that Napolean's mob ruled the city as the French wanted civil as well as church registrations recorded.   I can't remember the exact dates but roughly 1812-1814.   I have paid the archives to do research work for me.   So if know your people had a business as mine did, you can work on the business find out the street etc etc.  They could give me history of the ownership of the building owned by my ancestors back to the 1500s.

E-Mail: stadtarchiv@stadt.lueneburg.de
Internet: www.lueneburg.de/stadtarchiv

There are three main churches in Luneburg: St Johannis, St Nicolai and St Michaels.   All the BMDs for the church records during the timeframe that you are looking at are stored at St Johannis.  When I went there I was looking at church records that were over 200 years old.

Kirchenbuchamt Lüneburg
Bei der St. Johanniskirche 4
21335 Lüneburg
E-Mail: kirchenbuchamt.lueneburg@evlka.de

They too have a service which you pay for if you can give them some information on what you are seeking.   I have used them a number of times and they are most helpful.

If you are English speaking, you should put your request to the Archives or St Johannis in English and use Google translate to translate it into German. This seems to work ok.  The German translation is a must.

I actually had to go to Luneburg in the hope of finding out about my Germany ancestors.  Luckily I was able to break through and find out quite a bit of info and have followed it up with more requests.   It is a delightful town.  Absolutely delightful.   

Best wishes for success. 
Buckinghamshire, England:  Pages, Ayres,  Weaver, Plater, Wilson, Grover;
Ross and Cromarty, Scotland: Stewart;
Luneburg, Germany in the 1900s:  Schlüter, Harms, Schilling, Bostelmann. Nebel;
Harburg, Germany in the 1900s: Himbeck,  Müller