Author Topic: Ninion Steele Broomfield  (Read 2999 times)

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ninion Steele Broomfield
« on: Monday 24 September 12 01:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Ninion Steele Broomfield or the name Ninion. He has recently been added to my family tree. I would like to know if anyone has any information on him or where the "Ninion" may have come from as this is not any of the family names for several generations. It may have come from his mother, name unknown. Such an unusual name for a family of Thomases, George's and David's.
Thank you, Mona

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Ninion Steele Broomfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Mona

It would help if you could give us dates and places for 'your' Ninion   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 01:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Linda. Ninian Steel Broomfield was born 1834 in Newcastle On Tyne. I believe his father was John Broomfield and mother Agnes. I would like to find out date of birth for parents and the parents of Agnus. Because of the name Ninian Steel, I feel he was named after a grandfather.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 02:51 BST (UK) »
Here he is:

Ninian Steel Broomfield 
christening date: 14 Apr 1833, Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland 
father's name: John Broomfield 
mother's name: Ann Steel

www.familysearch.org

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 03:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information. Any thoughts on Ninians mothers parents. I have found some information on a Captain Ninian Steel born 12/24 /1748. I am trying to connect John Broomfield born 12/24/1786 with Ninian Steel Brromfield but having a problem with getting the date of births to be in a range for chil bearing years. Any thoughts?
Thank you, Mona

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 03:21 BST (UK) »
I have John Broomfield b-12/24/1786 married to Anne Steel ( no date of birth) and Ninian Steel Broomfield born 4/14/1833. Captain Ninian had a daughter named Anna but not sure if this is a connection. any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks, Mona

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Although Ninian's christening states that his mother is Ann, in 1841 he appears to be at home in Gallowgate, Newcastle with parents John and Agnes. John and Agnes are both aged 50 (ages rounded down to nearest 5 in 1841), both born in Scotland. I suspect Ann/Agnes was known as Nancy, which is a diminutive of both names, and the clerk writing the entry decided she was probably officially Ann, especially as they are now living in England, where the name Agnes is much less common than in Scotland. Ninian was christened at the High Bridge Meeting House, a Scottish Presbyterian church. Probable siblings for Ninian christened at the same church with father named as John BROOMFIELD are Elizabeth 1815, Helen 1820, John 1822 and Andrew 1825.
John Broomfield married Agnes STEEL on 30th December 1813 at Doddington, Northumberland. John's death appears in the FreeBMD index for Newcastle in June 1856, and Agnes' death in March 1861, so if someone could find John and Agnes (probably in Newcastle) in 1851, that would confirm their birthplaces.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sunlaws for that information. I was missing one of the children of John and Agnes. John Broomfield had a sister Jean  b-4/4/1779. If you run across who she married, that would be great. I am learning to navigate this sight as well as others in Scotland. Thank you for all your help. Mona

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Without more information, it's impossible to say which of the multiple marriages of Jean Broomfield might be the right one.

There are also multiple Agnes STEELs, but I think I would favour the one chr. at Fogo, Berwickshire on 10th September 1786, daughter of Andrew STEIL and Agnes STEIL, who married 15th May 1779 at Eccles, Berwickshire. The marriage may have been one of necessity, as Agnes' eldest sibling Ninian STEEL was christened at Fogo on 21st December 1779.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram