Author Topic: Whitmore/Whittemore of Claverly  (Read 1417 times)

Offline susieq618

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitmore/Whittemore of Claverly
« on: Monday 24 September 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Whitmore or Whittemore family that lived at Claverly - in particular, Francis Whitmore born about 1625. There are a few different lineages for him online but with no documentation. The closest thing I could find is a Francis Whitmore, son of Nicholas Whitmore, baptized in 1629 (he would have been 4 years old) according to an extract from the church book of Hitchin, Herts. but I found earlier generations of Whitmores at Claverly. He came to America and settled in Massachusetts where he signed an affadavit stating he was born in 1625 and was married to Isabel Parke in 1648. There is some evidence he was a Puritan if that helps.
Does anyone have any suggestions where I could look for documentation on this family?
Thanks!
susieq618

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Whitmore/Whittemore of Claverly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I checked the Claverly PR's for the period you are querying and there are no mentions of a Nicholas or Francis Whitmore. The closest is 8 Feb 1668/9 Mrs. Francis Whitmore, bur. There are quite a few Whitmore's in the PR's from 1571 but nothing leaping out as a lead. I would add, there doesn't appear to be any variants of Whitmore, including those mentioned below.

You may have seen this, but if not; there is a tree on tribal pages going back to 1538, Charles Watmore (looking at other references, Wetmore is another variant). The roots are in Hitchin, Herts as you suggest, link below. It may be worth contacting the owner for possible provenance.

http://ltfrank.tribalpages.com/family-tree/ltfrank/774/12917/Charles-Watmore-Family

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susieq618

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline TerriShirey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I am a Whitmore looking into our family tree and I have it going back to Francis also.

Might you have info that you wish to share? I show family in Massachusetts and we were all in Toledo OH area.

Thanks for your time!
Terri Whitmore Shirey