Author Topic: GEDCOM to XLS conversion  (Read 22857 times)

Offline mrigger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEDCOM to XLS conversion
« on: Monday 24 September 12 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Some time ago I started to write an Excel based application to convert GEDCOM files into a tabbed XLS spreadsheet. For various reasons I had to shelve the project but now I am in a position to start work again.

The finished application will be released as freeware to anyone who can make use of it. In the meantime I need some help! At this stage, I am looking for forum members who can provide me with GEDCOM files exported from differing genealogy programs. I only use PAF, so output from differing programs will help me ensure that the input process is as stable and robust as possible.

I am not looking to 'steal' anyone's research, and I certainly don't want any information that relates to living individuals. Any and all information will be handled securely and confidentially, and will be deleted after I have finished the testing stage. So is anyone willing to help? I will also need a few volunteers later to beta test the application, but at the moment it is the data that is important.

I do hope that some of you will consider helping out .

Best wishes

Mark
Lees (Oldham); Morris (Oldham); Bardsley (Ashton under Lyne, Saddleworth and Oldham); Whitehead (Oldham); Sowden (Bradford and Oldham); Ashworth; Prew (Bridgwater and Glamorgan);Grassick (Aberdeenshire); Thow (Aberdeenshire)

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: GEDCOM to XLS conversion
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 12 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I use Legacy and would be happy to provide a GEDCOM

How much data do you want and how do we deliver it?

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I wouldn't have thought it matters which program is used, because the GEDCOM output should be the same regardless of the program. Anyway, if you would like to test a GEDCOM generated by RootsMagic, I can provide one.

I must say, I am intrigued as to why you would want an entire GEDCOM in XLS format.

Alexander

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 00:25 BST (UK) »

the GEDCOM output should be the same regardless of the program

I believe there are slight variations between programs, although most programs can ignore anything that they don't need without falling in a heap   :o ::)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrigger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses - it is much appreciated!

I must say, I am intrigued as to why you would want an entire GEDCOM in XLS format

....mainly because at one stage I was exchanging information with relatives who didn't use genealogy software (but did have a spreadsheet application or viewer), plus I wanted to improve my programming skills  :P

How much data do you want and how do we deliver it?

Your choice, although the more individuals there are in the GEDCOM file, the better (from a testing viewpoint). Please feel free to make available as much (or little) data as you feel comfortable with. Please PM me and I will give you an email address where you can send the data.

Once I have the data, I will process it and send the results back to you in an Excel tabbed spreadsheet (if you don't use Excel, don't worry - the data should be visible in most Spreadsheet applications, or you can use the free MS Excel viewer application). This initial data will consist of a breakdown of all the data in the file. After some bug fixing, I intend to modify the application to allow you to compare two GEDCOM files, but more of this later.

Thanks again for your responses, and I hope you can assist.

Best wishes

Mark

Lees (Oldham); Morris (Oldham); Bardsley (Ashton under Lyne, Saddleworth and Oldham); Whitehead (Oldham); Sowden (Bradford and Oldham); Ashworth; Prew (Bridgwater and Glamorgan);Grassick (Aberdeenshire); Thow (Aberdeenshire)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have Family Historian. If I can work out how to send you a Gedcom I will do so.  :)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 03:51 BST (UK) »
You might want to see the export options, this is from RootsMagic as it will make a difference to your excel layout.
the drop down box options:
Names: Full name or living
Facts: there are 6 options, variations of Date/year/place and don't print facts

Also, why don't you download the free downloads of the FH programs which are available to test? That way you will get a better picture of how each FH program exports its data.  Once you get that right, testing larger gedcoms shouldn't cause a problem.  Testing gedcoms people send to you blind without knowing the options chosen is really hit and miss on getting your application to work properly without bugs.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline mrigger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
You might want to see the export options, this is from RootsMagic as it will make a difference to your excel layout.

A valid point, but as I cannot guarantee what application the GEDCOM was created in, nor what fields it contains I have had to make the import code fairly forgiving in terms of missing /additional fields.

Also, why don't you download the free downloads of the FH programs which are available to test? That way you will get a better picture of how each FH program exports its data.  Once you get that right, testing larger gedcoms shouldn't cause a problem.  Testing gedcoms people send to you blind without knowing the options chosen is really hit and miss on getting your application to work properly without bugs.

Again, a valid point, but the problem here is that it would only ever be me creating the test data - it's far better from a testing standpoint to use real data - no two people will enter data in the same way, so this is a much better way of testing in my opinion.

Thank you for your comments - they are appreciated!

Best wishes

Mark

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses - it is much appreciated!

I must say, I am intrigued as to why you would want an entire GEDCOM in XLS format

....mainly because at one stage I was exchanging information with relatives who didn't use genealogy software (but did have a spreadsheet application or viewer), plus I wanted to improve my programming skills  :P

Thinking laterally . . . RootsMagic comes with RootsMagic-to-go, which allows you to generate a free-standing CD of your family tree.

Probably other genealogy programs also do something similar?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)