Author Topic: GEDCOM to XLS conversion  (Read 22858 times)

Offline stbower

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEDCOM to XLS conversion
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 December 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Mark,
I'll be glad to provide test data from Family Tree Maker to GEDCOM 5.5. The export options include selecting a "destination" of FTM versions 16 and 2008-2012, and "Other" - the FTM help says the destination option "creates a GEDCOM-based file that can be better imported into various versions of Family Tree Maker. For example, FTM 16 accommodates the combined Description and Place fields and certain facts that don't allow sources. 'Other' outputs a more generally formatted GEDCOM file."

So I could send different versions.

If you're following through on this project, please let me know, (*). I just tried GEDxlate and SmartGenealogy, both which export GEDCOM to Excel, but neither would run under Win 7/64-bit. Oxy-gen GEDCOM Converter works in Win 7/64-bit, but is too limited (e.g., doesn't output the individual's unique ID).

I also tried ordering GedTool (German), which may already do what you're developing, but costs 20 euros - http://www.gedtool.de/

I was considering writing my own import routine, but still hoping to find one out there. Please let me know if you have a shareware version.

Steve

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

What's the latest on this project of yours?

Regards
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline webmayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Did this project go through to completion?
I would be interested to know what the results were of testing the gedcoms supplied by members.

I am the author of GenScriber. I have recently included a gedcom import/export. Like Mark, I am in a position of not having gedcom files from various applications to test. It would be good to know which tags are most used.

I ended up just adding the tags I had in my own gedcoms.

L

Offline DrKahea

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 December 22 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Aloha Mark, our nonprofit needs to convert a Gedcom file of +38,660 individuals to an Excel spreadsheet in order to create a searchable database.  Once you "perfect" the convertion you're working on please contact us. We would like to know if you can assist us and the cost.
Mahalo  www.portuguesecollections.org