Author Topic: 1851 census EDWARD PAULHILL  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 census EDWARD PAULHILL
« on: Wednesday 26 September 12 02:57 BST (UK) »
Anyone able to find the elusive Edward PAULHILL born Barming, Kent (Bap All Saints, Maidstone in June 1824) parents William and Jane PAULHILL have him in 1841 was listed as a Tailors Apprentice and 1861, was with his family, 1871 only his wife and children were mentioned not him. He emigrated with his family in 1876 to New Zealand they lived in 11 Church St Tovil in 1861 and 2 Church St in 1871 all help appreciated. 1851 just coming up say no records found.  Glenda

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census EDWARD PAULHILL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 05:45 BST (UK) »
In 1851 there is an Edward Paulhill living in Church Street, Maidstone with his brother James but his occupation is said to be Stone Breaker and birth place given as Tovil.

The census reference is HO 107, Piece 1617, Folio 216, Page 10.

James Paulhill b Maidstone age 38
Mary Paulhill b London age 40
Edward Paulhill b Tovil age 27

Could this be your man?  ???

Regards,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census Sarah the wife of Edward Paulhill is recorded as having 5 children (surname Brook) as the result of a previous relationship.  However, when she married Edward on 2 November 1849 (All Saints, Maidstone) she was said to be a spinster whose father was Samuel Brook.  I have seen a baptism record for Sarah Brook born to Samuel & Elizabeth dated 19 August 1823 in the parish of Barming.  In that parish there is a further baptism record dated 14 Jan 1844 for a John Samuel Holmes the son of George & Sarah. It is noted that the father is a Licensed Hawker.

Then in 1851 Sarah, George and John Holmes can be found in Greenwich with three further children William (c1845) James (c1847) and Eliza (c1850)  These children plus John match remarkably the Brook children in the 1861 census!!!!  ??? ???

The 1851 census can be found at HO 107, Piece 1587, Folio 376, Page 32/33

I have not been able to find Edward Paulhill in 1871 nor any marriage of George Holmes to Sarah Brook!  ???

A somewhat difficult set of relationships.  ???

Not sure if this helps.

Regards,
Tony

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks, that adds some further information for me.

I know in the 1851 census the has all the children were shown with the surnames of HOLMES but all those children I have their birth records and they are all born BROOKS with no father entered. But when Elizabeth and William married they put George (no surname) as fathers name and occupation Traveller. I have gleaned from information along the road that Sarah was travelling with this man until until say 1854 when the children stopped. It is interesting that the first born was finally baptised in 1844 but under the name of HOLMES when all previous and subsequent records of his name show BROOKS. Lat year I meet in UK his Granddaughter she will be surprised at this new development. I just wonder Edward PAULHILL (PAWLHILL)  was in 1871 only 4 years. Thanks. I will now try and locate a death for George HOLMES..