Author Topic: Grandfather 1917: colour please ?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather 1917: colour please ?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
Seeing as you have a number of super coloured versions I'd restored to the old sepia tone . :) 

I had intended to colour also but  not sure if this thread is still open  for more input.... :-\
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Well  I decided  to do a coloured  one seeing as most of the work was done in the restore . :)
 It seems quite a lot of people either  mark a thread as "completed"or "closed"  so very soon after posting for a restore...  ::)  It seems unnecessary to me  as a thread usually just naturally falls to the bottom of the list when people are no longer responding to it  and one can feel a little deflated when one has spent time on a photo only to find it maybe feels surplus to requirements when finding the thread is annotated as such. 
I 'm sure Sydney Researcher is just doing what lots of other people have maybe been encouraged to do  but for the life of me I cannot  see what advantage there is to anyone  in continuing the practice when it is related to restores ....   Maybe  I 'm just a bit of a slow coach   ;D ;D
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Great work Polldoll! :D ;D
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 September 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you RonB :)
Great work Polldoll! :D ;D
He looks a dapper chappie doesn't he ? ;)
Just checked out your Scottish connections...  It seems we are not related ...but you do have impeccable taste .... :-X ;D ;D ;D
Poll ;)

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 September 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
Poll it is now in the Etiquette and guidelines posted by Prue

COMPLETED REQUESTS

Owners, when you feel the topic is now finished, please use the modify button to add the word *completed* to the titles of the first and last entries in your topic.  However, please be aware that it can take some time for all the restorations to be completed, so don't be too hasty to "complete" a topic - give time for everyone from around the world to have a go (at least 48 hours please

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 October 12 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene :) ... Thanks ..I know ;).... those guidelines have been around for a while  ... the point I was making was why.?..
What purpose does it really serve to put completed ?. ???  Do people then say to themselves that should another restore turn up that they don't want it  ? I doubt it . Every restore is different and it's not as if people are duplicating information unnecessarily like one does, say, in a Census or BMD" look up"  Under that circumstance I can see the validity of annotating a thread with  " Completed".
I sometimes choose 6 or 7  pics to restore and then may not log on to Rootschat for a week whilst I am working on them.
Sometimes we used to restore a photo weeks  later if we had missed it initially when I first started to restore on here. I just think it may sometimes cause people to feel they may have wasted their time when they log on to post a restore and it says that the thread is closed or completed . How does it make you feel ... it 's probably happened to you too in the past .  I'm not criticising the people that do it ...  just questioning the logic of the  advice in the guidelines ... :)

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 October 12 02:11 BST (UK) »
Poll I dont see the logic to it either. ;D ;D ;D

and yes it has happened to me. Sometimes I post regardless or I just bin them and say goodbye to two/three hours work (sometimes more)
Its the same as we cannot color unless it is requested. If this is because if it is not wanted then we have wasted our time, then surely the same thing applies to posts that have been completed  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I dont make the rules I just try to follow them  ;D ;D ;D

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 October 12 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi SR.....I hope I am doing the right thing posting after the thread has been closed.

I agree with Poll and Irene it is a silly rule closing the thread.

regards Carolyn  :-\
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 October 12 08:10 BST (UK) »

Beautiful work from everyone !  :) :) :)

For Stephen's future reference, Prue's recommendation is at least 48 hours :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,528438.0.html

Owners, when you feel the topic is now finished, please use the modify button to add the word *completed* to the titles of the first and last entries in your topic.  However, please be aware that it can take some time for all the restorations to be completed, so don't be too hasty to "complete" a topic - give time for everyone from around the world to have a go (at least 48 hours please).

Pels.

Speaking for Stephen, this might be my fault because previously I'd put emphasis on the forty eight hours. But it might help other posters to be aware that a thread was started about this subject. Three pages and every restorer agreed :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,436923.0.html

When I was searching for the above link I put the word 'completed' and Pels into the search. The number of times I've repaired a pic for it to be posted after completion is terribly embarrassing - for the person who's restored it.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk