Author Topic: Sir Thomas Turnbull  (Read 5559 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Turnbull
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 October 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
I have had good look at the tree on the web and it matches many of the entrys in Rulewater and it People, but the book can fill in some of their gaps with dates, etc

Re Sir Thomas Turnbull their know he was married twice but not the order if you check it with the book his first wife Mary Ker and by the dates the Widow Bennet was a later marriage.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Terianne
The info has proved very useful.
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 January 13 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi CastleBob,
I've just caught up with the posts on Sir Thomas Turnbull. I was wondering how far you had got.

Sir Thomas appears to be my 12x great-grandfather, but there is some confusion at the moment about his birth dates (1520 or 1528) and death dates (1572 or 1606). There seems to be consensus about the two spouses though.  Mary Ker (m.1540) has two sons (William and Robert) with Sir Thomas, and Janet Bennet (m.1560) has 7 or 8 sons and one daughter with him.  It is unclear if Walter Turnbull is Mary Ker's or Janet's son.  Janet has, as someone has indicated, a son (Mungo) with someone else.  Sir Thomas's daughter, Margaret Turnbull, is my 11x great-grandmother.

However, my distant cousin, Allan Lorraine has written a number of books on the Lorraines of Dumfriesshire, Roxburghshire, Berwickshire and Northumberland, and he advises caution in using George Tancred's Rulewater and Its People, 1907.  Allan's books in the Ewart Library, Dumfries set out his reservations about Tancred's conclusions.

Hope this helps a little.

iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart