Author Topic: Ethel Blackburn and Edward Smith of Northallerton.  (Read 9743 times)

Offline dingoad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Blackburn and Edward Smith of Northallerton.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 October 12 23:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks pels, i found that entry and it does look like Mignon.

Dont suppose Ill ever find out if its Mainner, Marion or Mignon?
After this I dont know where to go with it, or where to make progress, unless anyone has any further suggestions.

Thankyou very much for everything, you have all been a big help.

Dave.

Offline ramgin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Hookleg, i came across your post dated 28 Sept (i presume it was 2014 ) after typing in Ethel Blackburn.we were looking for information regarding my paternal grandfather..  The half brother you mention named Harold was my father, born Jan 18th 1913, my mother Phyliss (nee pearson) was born Dec 3rd 1919. He would never talk about his father, and as his birth certificate stated father unkown we assumed he was given his mothers surname, he talked of having a blood sister named Annie, wether she had the same surname as him we never found out as we did not know of her possible existance until a short time before he died. In addition to my fathers half brother John, and half sisters Lily and Edna,which you mention, there were two more half brothers Walter and Ernest, All had the surname Smith. I would be interested to know the reason for your enquiry into the family, and wether exchange of information would be beneficial to both parties.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ramgin, I met Harold and Phyliss when they visited Haughley and stayed with Lily and Den. Lily and Den were my wife's mum and dad. I am trying to trace Lily's side of the family as I have Den's back to the 1700s. Haven't had much luck with help from Lily's sister (N*****) in Canada but she is elderly. Hope very much that you will be able to put some more pieces into my jigsaw. Regards from Suffolk.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Lcrepeele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hookleg, i came across your post dated 28 Sept (i presume it was 2014 ) after typing in Ethel Blackburn.we were looking for information regarding my paternal grandfather..  The half brother you mention named Harold was my father, born Jan 18th 1913, my mother Phyliss (nee pearson) was born Dec 3rd 1919. He would never talk about his father, and as his birth certificate stated father unkown we assumed he was given his mothers surname, he talked of having a blood sister named Annie, wether she had the same surname as him we never found out as we did not know of her possible existance until a short time before he died. In addition to my fathers half brother John, and half sisters Lily and Edna,which you mention, there were two more half brothers Walter and Ernest, All had the surname Smith. I would be interested to know the reason for your enquiry into the family, and wether exchange of information would be beneficial to both parties.
. Hi there I am the youngest daughter of (N****e) and reside in Canada. My mom wasn’t aware of a sister Annie until after my Aunt Lily passed away. She knew Harold and Phylis as we visited with the in 1975. I have been doing some research on another site and found out that my great Grandma was Elizabeth Ann Swales, she married Christopher Blackburn. My mom had mentioned that Harold’s middle name was Swales? Just curious if that is correct? My mom also said she knew that one of her moms brothers moved to Ontario and worked for Algoma Steel. Maybe this will help all who are searching.