Author Topic: Accuracy of Boyd's marriage index - Littlewood marriage, 1736  (Read 12559 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of Boyd's marriage index - Littlewood marriage, 1736
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
So in Great Braxted, there's a baptism for "Mary Denish" on 17 Dec 1666 and one for "James Danish" on 24 Mar 1668. Neither give parents' names. A burial on 20 Jun 1676 is for Katharine daughter of James & Grace Danish. But there's nothing else - no marriage. However, it's possible that the 1666 baptism is our Mary (the mother's name, Grace, wouldn't be surprising).

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I missed Samuel Burton the tailor - well spotted! :)

Looks possible that Mary gave birth to three sets of twins but only the last set survived.

As one child of John and Mary was named Grace which was a name not that often used I think you have definitely cracked it! She was named after Granny. Plus John is the right age and you also have his brother Sam.

I shall have to get the map out again. We are certainly getting around Essex!

Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.
Littlewood, Bacon, Oxley and Fairbrother in North East Essex.

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I thought Samuel Burton the tailor sounded familiar. There a bond listed on the SEAX index. It was made between John Burton, labourer of Harwick and Samuel Burton, tailor of Wakes Colne to do with some land in 1749.

I can't seem to find a parish named Harwick in Essex. An earlier spelling of Harwich perhaps?
 :)
Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I guess this is our new ancestor or perhaps his son.

SEAX, Great Braxted in 1690 - James Dennis, milliner appeared to be court for "speaking scandalous words against the present Government."
 :)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that, "speaking scandalous words against the government"! Naughty! I wonder if that's Mary's brother?

I very stupidly forgot that I'd gone through the Wakes Colne register looking for Keables and Burtons and had written them all down. So it means that we have:

Burial: 18 Mar 1694/5 Mary, wife of Samuel Burton
Burial: 12 Jan 1707/8: Samuel Burton, widower (the chap with the will - so Mary could've been John's mum).
Baptism: 12 Jul 1709 Rebecca, daughter of John & Mary Burton (born 11 Jul)
Baptism: 05 Mar 1709/10 John son of James & Mary Keable (born 18 Feb) <-- I think the Mary is Mary Burton, and John is the cousin on Sarah Newcomb/Allen/Gill's will.
Burial: 27 Nov 1711: The wife of John Burton (so I think this is probably Mary née Dennis)
Baptism: 02 Oct 1712 Susanna daughter of James & Mary Keable (born 10 Dec 1711).

James Keable and Mary Burton's marriage doesn't appear to be in Wakes Colne, though.

Re the bond about Samuel Burton, tailor and the chap in "Harwick" - yes, I think they mean Harwich!

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 06 December 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the Wakes Colne register entries. :)

I've been looking at our earliest known ancestor Samuel Burton in the hope I could find out where he fits into the Burton family of Essex. Well, at the very least, according to the SEAX index, there were seven Samuels as there are seven wills mentioned and some of these were also shopkeepers. The other years also refer to various Samuel Burtons I found in the SEAX index for the same period as the wills. None of the places mentioned seem to be that far from each other.

1598   WILL - of Earls Colne

1610   On the bench at Sessions. Prisoners of Earls Colne
1610   In court for hunting conies. Grocer of Earls Colne
1611   Ordered to keep peace. Grocer of Earls Colne
1620   Theft. (Possibly Earls Colne)

1623   WILL - yeoman, of Colchester

1626   Draper, Earls Colne
1628   Grocer, Earls Colne
1638   Assult. Of Great Wigborough. Also Isaac, Richard & Daniel Burton involved
1641   Repairing road Earls Colne to Coggeshall
1652   To abide to the order of the court

1662-63   WILL - of Earls Colne (chandler)

1671   Admitted on surrender of James Burton to "Tredgolds", Earls Colne
1690   Admitted to "Rolphs" Earls Colne after death of brother John
1691   Earls Colne, grocer
1696   Threatening wife of John Cressener. Earls Colne

1708   WILL - grocer of Wakes Colne

1708   After death his son John admitted to "Rolphs" Wakes Colne
1709   After death his only son & heir John admitted to "Maggots & Brooks" White Colne
1712   Gent. Of Woodham Mortimer. Breaking lock on barn door
1727   Adm. to "Richards" & 1 acre in "Berthall Mead", White Colne. John Burton surrendered

1729   WILL - of Wakes Colne (shop in Wakes, property to wife Harriet, rest to brother John)

1740   Surrendered "Richards Berthall & Maggots Mead", White Colne
1740   Surrendered "Richards" etc., White Colne to the use of Mary Dunker

1748-49   WILL - of Wakes Colne

1749   Admitted after recovery. "Richards."
1749   Surrendered "Richards, etc., to the use of Thomas Fisher
1749   Tailor of White Colne. Bond made with John Burton of Harwick (Harwich?)
1752   Tailor, of Great Coggeshall leased messuage "Makells" for year from John Moss
1752   Surrendered land in White Colne to the use of John Moss
1753   Fine to do with property. Wife Mary mentioned.

1764   WILL - of Danbury, gent.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 21 December 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
That's a very useful list! I shall study that....

Ralph Josselyn's book has been digitised on Google Books. I don't think these are our Burtons though - I suspect they're related at some point, though, but further back.

That said.... if you the search that book for John Burton at Chalkney Mill and see where it appears on the map, it's right on the edge of the parish boundary of Earls Colne and is right up against the borders of White Colne and Wakes Colne. In fact, if you google "Chalkney Mill", it is sometimes referred to as being in White Colne. So I do wonder if that John Burton is the fella whose will I have transcribed - brother of Samuel Burton of Wakes Colne, our rellie. But the Josselyn book gives a date of death for John at Chalkney Mill of 1683 - our John died in 1689. They may not be entirely correct though.... hmmm....

I've transcribed John Burton of White Colne's will - he mentions his brother Samuel: http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/documents/

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 21 December 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Also! If you've got an Ancestry subscription, you can see some Burtons on the electoral rolls:

1702: Samuel Burton, White Colne
1710: John Burton, White Colne
1722: John Burton of Wakes Colne (freehold in Wakes Colne)
1734: Robert Burton of Earls Colne, Samuel Burton of Wakes Colne

The first two aren't necessarily where they live, I think it could be where their qualifying property is.