Author Topic: (COMPLETED) W T....Henry TRAILL Family Enigma  (Read 13878 times)

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
Re: Henry TRAILL Family Enigma
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 September 12 04:53 BST (UK) »
thanks majm, may take me a while to work that out, had a couple of fiddles with it, no luck yet, best he just Goodles Trove unless someone else is able to put the link up.
Dorliz
McCash (McAsh),Harris,Nott,Cooper,Taylor
McLeod,Weatherall,Cartwright,Smith,Geary,
Innes

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 September 12 05:16 BST (UK) »
thanks majm, may take me a while to work that out, had a couple of fiddles with it, no luck yet, best he just Goodles Trove unless someone else is able to put the link up.
Dorliz

Hi

When you are on the Trove newspaper site, you take your cursor up to the left hand top area of the newspaper article you are reading and (move up above that) you COPY the live link that your puter has taken you to.  Then you PASTE that link into your post and then you delete surplus bits as per the thread I posted.  It is a Similar technique to copy/paste any live link into any email.   The thread I posted shows you how to shorten the NLA links so they are not full of stuff that is not needed for RChat purposes.   

What I tend to also do when I post a live link to the Trove newspapers, is to type up the name (eg SMH) and the date of the article.  In that way if for some reason the live link to Trove becomes de-activated, then anyone reading the thread at any time in the future has the name of the newspaper and the date the article appeared.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14464518  SMH 22 May 1902 (gives some background on W H Traill's forebears)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 September 12 06:33 BST (UK) »
Well thanks to Dorliz and of course Jm for her wisdom, isn't that interesting :o

Jm & many others will of course remember my other extended post in relation to another family enigma "Queenie" Masters/Messenger/Hickey. ???

Well just to chuck the cat in with the canaries Mr Traill's name is on the same page of the family memories book as Queenie ::) Not the suspicious type and not wanting to draw more tenuous conclusions I wonder if her name came from that link in Queensland where I said none of our relations came from 8)

More digging required and I will have to get another more up to date look at that book, now in safe keeping at older Bro's place ???

Gee this site is good.

Thanks Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 September 12 06:39 BST (UK) »
Ummmm,  well .... errrr ......  yes of course, Henry Traill's name just had to be on that same page as Queenie.

Get your older Bro to scan it from cover to cover (including the covers, but of course).   I love your enigma searches.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 September 12 07:58 BST (UK) »
Glad you are getting some joy Neil,  it's always good to get a lead of some sort even if it doesn't pan out the chase is good.
Sure hope this is what you are looking for.
and JM,  I'm  still stuggling to work that out,   I don't get copy on the pop up box but I will keep at it,  have printed your instructions
so that I can keep playing around with it,   I can copy and paste normally but this............  It shall be something new I have learned
when I finally sort it out.  Still after four years trying  to work out lots of stuff on this site,  like,   what is the little man above Neils
profile.    Dorliz
McCash (McAsh),Harris,Nott,Cooper,Taylor
McLeod,Weatherall,Cartwright,Smith,Geary,
Innes

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 September 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
Seems the book has gone missing :o I will have to follow up during the week very odd ???

I will get back

Thanks to all Neil ;)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 September 12 10:43 BST (UK) »

Is there anything here of use -

WILL in Tasmania
William Henry TRAILL formerly of Cork St Newcastle upon Tyne, late Frankford Tasmania, shipwright d. Frankford 3 Feb 1907

sons Charles Thomas TRAILL of Dundas, schoolteacher
Alfred Hopper TRAILL, farmer.

Examiner 3 Feb 1907
FANKFORD. On Tuesday last the late Mr.. W. H. Traill was buried in the local cemetery, the Rev. Mr. Freeman officiating at the grave.

Mr. Traill was 80 years of age, and was one of the first of the English settlers who came into this district over 20 years ago..... loss of his wife some few years ago ......

WILL in Tasmania made 18 Jul 1902

Thomas Hopper TRAILL d.27 Feb 1911  Addison St Newcastle upon Tyne

Money, and land at Frankford in Tasmania

Executor is adopted son Thomas Smith Thirlwell TRAILL

beneficiaries are brother William Henry TRAILL, William's wife Emily

nephews Charles Thomas TRAIL and Alfred Hopper TRAILL

Charles Eardley DUNCAN of Harrow nr London

Charles William GREENER of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Examiner 3 Aug 1933

Another of the pioneers of the Frankford district, Mr. Alfred Traill, died at the age of 65 years at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. Mark Kerrison, Holwell, on Saturday.

He came from England about 52 years ago with his parents.... born in Newcastle, but his parents originally came from the Orkney Islands, north of Scotland.

Mr. Traill married Miss Thomas. Mrs. Traill is dead, and an only brother, Mr. Charles Traill, died about five years ago.

The late Mr. Alfred Traill leaves a family of seven sons and two daughters.
The sons are William (N.S.W.),
Alfred (N.Z.), David, a school teacher in Hobart,
Henry, Walter, and George, who re- side In Frankford,
Arthur, who has charge of Wesley Vale school.

Ethel, who is teaching at Holwell, and Emily, who is Mrs. M. Kerrison,

The funeral took place on Monday to the Frank- ford Cemetery, where there was a very large gathering. The pall bearers were Messrs. W. and , F. Hines, A. Phillips, Neil Kerrison, M. Reed, and V. Pugh. The chief mourners were Messrs. David, Henry, Walter, George, and Arthur (sons), M. Kerrison (son-in-law), D. Thomas and Ivo Thomas (uncles), and other relatives.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 October 12 02:15 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Wivenhoe, All is very helpful, particularly for any descendants of the Traill family. It seems the team at Rootschat have just about reconstructed the Traill family tree of Australia. ;D

They should be eternally pleased. ::) ::)

One thing has come out of it that is of use.  :o

They all come from originally, the Orkney's. So are all probably related in some fashion however long back. Any that occur in my family book therefore have the same ancestors anyway. ;D Maybe they all got run out of town as Skoosh suggests they weren't all that popular >:( >:(

None of the names you posted Wivenhoe rings any bells but thanks for all that transcription anyway ;)

This ENIGMATIC section of the ergh family ??? Really were pretty good at keeping secrets hidden it seems. I think they could get a job in any Cypher section of any clandestine organisation. Really tops in codes as well :P

Will press on anyway :-\

Neil

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 October 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Folks,  Black's Surnames has the Orkney, Shetland & Caithness Traill's descended from the Traill's of Blebo, an ancient Fife family. They first appeared in the islands in 1523.
 The Great War finished off a lot of these lairds (often literally), whether they still own anything in the North Isles I don't know.