Author Topic: Arwyn Rees  (Read 992 times)

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arwyn Rees
« on: Saturday 29 September 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Arwyn Rees.  Born about 1898 Carmarthenshire. Possibly a Agricultural Labourer. Towards the end of is life, was said to reside near Brecon.  Had a lady friend named Nellie Mary Davies  and a sister named Susan. He did not marry.  Any possible clues as to where he was from  and who he was he was would be wonderful.
I am researching  on behalf of my cousin who reaches the age of 90 next week , she  is his daughter.  The sad thing is that her mother stayed in touch with him  till the end.  He met his grandchildren but never his daughter and it still bugs her.
Sandra

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arwyn Rees
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 September 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Do you know when Arwyn died?

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 September 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I understand from my cousin it was in the late 1960s.

Her mother was living with her at the time and used to take the grandchildren to Brecon Fair to meet thir grandfather.

Thank you for taking an interest.

We do nt kow his date  of birth.  My cousin assumes that he must have been about the same birth date as her mother who was born 1898 but us researchers know we could give or take 10 years there!

There is a chance that he worked in Bronwydd Arms, Carmarthen. I suspect that he visited Llanybydder market on occasion because an aunt of mine saw him several times  and her most frequent outings were to Llanybydder Mart.

She did make a pithy remark that my cousin had inherited her poor eyesight from this man.   So one assumes he wore very thick glasses.

Sandra

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 September 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Someone else has kindly replied but for some reason I am not able to respond directly to the query.

I did find the David Arwyn Rees in Llanelli but, because of the suggested  poor eyesight of my target man (if his eyesight is as bad as his daughters he could not have been a chaffeur)and the fact that my cousin seemed to think he was from Carmarthen and into Ag Lab I did not think he was really likely.

I will persue that one and see if I can find a death in Powys for him.

I think he was the only Arwyn Rees I could find on Ancestry.co.uk.  I am not able to access any other paid for site.
Regards sandra

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a David Arwyn Rees born 1900 in Carmarthen.
He was with his parents 1901 census but had moved out and into is Uncle's place by the 1911 census.  Not noted as a visitor.

Checked  1911 census for his father Benjamin and it shows that they had  several more children after 1901 ,one child died during their marriage.  This could be the sister Susan.

The odd part is that two of the grandchildren were named Arwyn and Susan.  Whether my cousin knew what her mother was up to when touting the names remains a mystery!
I think this is the man I am looking for.

A birthday present for my cousin.

Thanks for the interest.

Sandra