Author Topic: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad  (Read 10781 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 October 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Mime is an Apple ,perhaps other makes do not work as well.

Ummmm . . . . all iPads are Apple! That's who makes them? ;D

All modern Apple products are made by a Chinese company called Foxconn, who also make the Amazon Kindle, XBox 360, the Playstation 3, and Intel-branded computer motherboards. It is the largest electronics manufacturer in the world.

Foxconn have had several allegations about the poor treatment of its empoyees, and some time ago Apple commissioned an investigation.  The outcome of Apple's investigation isn't clear, but last week there was a riot in the factory over pay and conditions, involving 2000 people, and 10 people died.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/thomaspascoe/100020258/the-foxconn-riot-shows-us-the-misery-of-communism-and-the-hypocrisy-of-western-liberals/

Apple are very well-known because of their falling out with Adobe, which means that no Apple product will support Adobe Flash.  Since Ancestry rely heavily  on Adobe Flash, then it seems reasonable to me to assume that a product that doesn't support Flash won't display the Ancestry pages very well. 

http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5503

Before splashing out on a £600 product, it's a good idea to know its limitations  :-\

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 October 12 10:29 BST (UK) »

... which means that no Apple product will support Adobe Flash.

Not quite true, perhaps you mean no iDevice supports Flash because of high memory/battery usage, etc.  Things using Mac OSX (like desktops) have no problem using Flash. (And what has Foxconn got to do with the Flash issue?  ::))

Is the problem to do with which viewer is being used by which iPad/iOS on the Ancestry censuses?

The Standard viewer shows a straightforward .jpg image.
The Advanced viewer uses Flash to display/zoom the image.

Don't have an iPad so don't know if there is an ability to switch between the two.
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 October 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Since the discussion was about the iPad, then my comments were about Apple 'i' devices.

Foxconn has nothing to do with the Flash issue. Lots of people assume that the 'i' devices are made in a US factory by happy fluffy Apple employees, when they couldn't be further from the truth.  Apple know about the Foxconn issues, and they are big enough to lean on Foxconn, according to the article I quoted.

I was also just pointing out that if you are using a website which openly admits that it relies heavily on Flash, then it's rather silly to buy something that doesn't support Flash, and then complain that it doesn't work properly.  Rather like buying a snowmobile, and then complaining that it doesn't hold the road well on the roundabouts on the A146 in June ! 

P.S. Other portable devices seem to cope with Flash pretty well, without depleting their memory/batteries. 
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 October 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
The Apple Flash "disagreement" has never been about memory or battery usage - rather Apple's view that Flash was a security issue for the operating systems. Adobe appear to have thrown in the towel with the mobile version of Flash and have reported that development will cease.

However to get back to the original point - the suggestion that the standard viewing system be tried is a good one.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Ok so I am thick!

How do I change to the standard viewer in Ancestry.  I can't for the life of me find how and the help is no help at all!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Gave up eventually and downloaded Puffin web browser.  It works in that and I can view images.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Joy45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have the new ipad and up dated to iOS and have not had trouble using Ancestry looking at records or down loading them on to my tree. I use Safari plus have the app down loaded but as you can not search on the app I do not use it much but use the main Ancestry site.

Joy

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 October 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
The app only lets you view and edit your tree. Plus those shaky green leaves ... Oddly one can view the "hint" image documents very clearly.

To search one has to go to actual site. To view images of records you need to change the viewer (in "options" above the  place where the image is not showing". I twiddled about - "compressed image" lets you view the document but some images are ot that sharp while some are very clear - no logic to clarity of image set that I can find.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 02:52 BST (UK) »
I tried several times at home on the i pad to change to the standard viewer and it just wasn't there as an option - I even rang ancestry again who were no help at all. So I logged on at work and the option to select standard viewer now shows up. I have selected this through works p.c. and will have to see when I get home if it now works on the i pad. Like Kerry I can use Puffin but still don't understand why Joy has no problems on her i pad (same version & ios as me) and yet some of us just can't???

Jo
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.