Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Advice please
« on: Sunday 30 September 12 02:53 BST (UK) »
After two years of research in Scotland I am turning my attention to my Irish ancestry.Now I may have asked about this before when I was a newbie,if so forgive me for repeating.

IGI has a birth for a McKeown male to John McKeown and Matilda Skelton 10th August 1865, Coalisland, County Tyrone.I know from other documents and a very detailed obituary that this is my GG grandfather Robert McEwan (the spelling changed once his parents moved to Scotland). What I would like to know is if it's on IGI, there must be some document registering his birth somewhere,where would I go to find it.

Also is there any way I can track back further.John McKeown/McEwan's parents were James McKeown (a farmer) and Jane Carson.Matilda Skelton's parents were James Skelton (also a farmer) and Anabella Carson.Whether these two Carson girls were related, I have know way of knowing at present.

Any advice on where to go next would be much apreciated.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 12 04:01 BST (UK) »
hi,,you say Johns father was called James...i can see this marriage record where his father is given as William? unless we have 2 John McKeowns marrying 2 Matilda Skeltons.  ;)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGXM-RG9
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
What I would like to know is if it's on IGI, there must be some document registering his birth somewhere,where would I go to find it.

Unless it is a submitted record (rather than an extracted record)?

Members of the LDS Church submit their family trees (so that theor ancestors can be 'baptised' into the church).
Some of these submitted records (probably lots!) have no documentary proof whatsoever! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

you can obtain a birth certificate here: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

Family Search has only one 1865 birth for a Male McKeown https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYP5-P6T

so this is a possibility.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 September 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
The marriage looks to be the same couple and there are a few births for their children on LDS site:
1. male Mckeown** born 10 Aug.1865 Coalisland registration district (page 545 in civil register)
2. Thomas Mckeown born 14 Jan.1868 Old Monkland, Lanarkshire
3. Annabella Mckeown born 29 May 1870 Old Monkland, Lanarkshire
Since civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 there could be another child/other children born before that date.

** there could be a mis-transcription of the page number. There are several ways to obtain the details from the birth certificate. See here for details which will be included on the certificate and how to order-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433041.0.html

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 September 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Tullyniskan (Tullanisken) is the parish where the couple married.  I’d be inclined to order a civil copy of the marriage cert to get their townlands (addresses), as well as confirm John’s father’s name. That may help you trace the family back. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so Tullyniskan may be her parish but not necessarily her husband’s. (You may find the bride’s baptism and that of any siblings in those church records, if they survive).

Since both fathers were farmers, there’s a fair chance they’d be listed in Griffiths Valuation, if alive. GV for 1860 has only one James Skelton listed in Tullyniskan. He lived in Gortnaskea, where he had a house and 2 roods, 10 perches of land (just over half an acre). Plot 8 on GV.

Gortnaskea is just to the west end of Coalisland and is in the V formed by Barrack St and the Derry Rd.

There’s no William McKeown in Tullyniskan in GV. There are two of that name in Tyrone. One in Bogbane townland and the other in Moy. The civil marriage cert may help tell whether either is your ancestor’s father.
Elwyn

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 September 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all,there is plenty there for me to be going on with.Great info there Elwyn, and aghadowey, yes that is the family,they moved to Scotland after Robert's birth, all subsequent children were born in Scotland.John and Matilda's parent's names and occupations I got from their 1914 and 1915 death certs.

Heywood,this is the one I was looking at.I know for sure these were his parents, and also that this was his birth date.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR92-GS3

Thanks for your help everybody.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 September 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Yes Seoras, I saw that too and am hoping that the link I sent is to the civil registration perhaps?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 September 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood,thanks for that. I am having difficulty ordering the certificate as it asks for the address at the time of birth and the mother's address, but I don't know these. It won't let me go any further without this info.