Author Topic: Temple family of Yorkshire  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Leighton.j.t

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Temple family of Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
hi I am trying to find out about my father's family and hes history and I dont have any clue how this site works at all, hes name was maurice temple he was born in Lindale york Yorkshire in 1932 he had 2/3 brothers and possibly a sister maybe 2 if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Temple family of Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
First of all I think it would be best if you ask a moderator to give your post a thread of its own. To do this look at the bottom of your post on the RH side where, in blue, it says 'Report to Moderator' Click on it then just make a post asking the moderator to give you your own thread.

Use FreeBMD to find the birth registration of your father. It gives your father's mother's maiden name as Waller, so using that information you search again with the surname Temple for the husband and Waller for the wife, remembering to tick the 'marriage' box. Between 1900 and 1932 there are only 3 marriages in England and Wales with those surname and only one of them in Yorkshire. It is in the March 1/4 1920 in the registration district of Whitby vol 9d page 928. The names are Thomas A Temple and Hannah E Waller. These are your potential grandparents but to be absolutely sure you are following the correct family you do need to purchase your father's birth certificate which will give you his father's name and his mother's maiden name.
This is the FreeBMD site https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
You can also use this site to search for your father's brothers and sisters by entering the surname Temple and mother's maiden name Waller but there were other marriages of couples with the same surnames so you would be trying to pinpoint the place of birth to try and sort them out.
Thomas A Temple and Hannah E are on the 1939 register (which replaced the census because of WW11). His birth date is  28 April 1900 and Hannahs is 15 June 1901. There are 4 redacted (blacked out) records in the same household which probably means the names of four children, one of which would be your father if it is the correct family.
ancestry and Findmypast are two pay per view sites which have free library versions. Your local library may have one of them. familysearch.org is another free site and there is FreeCen and FreeReg when you get further back. tak a look at Cyndi's List under the Category heading and it gives many links to helpful sites both pay oer view and free,