Author Topic: Suffolk: Henry HOWLETT, Born 1828, possibly Ipswich  (Read 5764 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk: Henry HOWLETT, Born 1828, possibly Ipswich
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish,

My interest in Henry HOWLETT is because he was a Parkhurst Boy or, rather, an "Exile" transported to Port Phillip with a Conditional Pardon.

The problem is to establish the link between him and the Henry HOWLETT who married Martha HOWLETT.  Of course, the fact he arrived in Australia in 1847 and did not marry until 1868 has created the narrative about him returnng to England then re-emigrating.   There are quite a few references to Henry/Martha HOWLETT in TROVE, none of which are particularly complimentary and indeed rather contradict the image portayed by the firstfamilies2001 contributor.

I have asked for copies of any BDM Certificates the Ancestry listers may have but, sadly, none are forthcoming which has made my research that much more difficult.   I used to have a copy of the Digger
Pioneer Index Victoria 1836-1885 CD that could have helped, except it expired from overuse and has not been replaced......it was quite invaluable and far better than the LDS Family Search Australian Vital Records Index 1788-1905 CD's.

For the moment

Tony

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 June 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi team

I know this is an OLD post but.... I am descended from family 'b' and I'm fairly confident that 'your' people don't belong to 'our' people!

regards

bitzar, in
Melbourne.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 June 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello bitzar,

If you would care to send me a Personal Message containing your email address I will respond with a copy of the short Biography I prepared for Henry HOWLETT.   That will allow you to edit the contents properly and if you feel confident that he is not the correct person I can then search elsewhere for him.

For the moment

Tony