Author Topic: Moloney Shop in Killaloe in 1901 & 1911  (Read 5384 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moloney Shop in Killaloe in 1901 & 1911
« on: Tuesday 02 October 12 13:30 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother Margaret Moloney appears in the 1901 and 1911 census as owner of a shop in Bridge Street, Killaloe. I know nothing about this shop and I don't know where to look for information about it. Would there be some sort of register of business owners for Killaloe, or for County Clare that I could look at? Or does anyone know where I could find old photographs of Killaloe for this time period - perhaps there is a photo of the shop somewhere? Her daughter Mary Ann Moloney took over the shop from her mother when she died in 1947. Mary Ann Moloney was married to David Haskett (my great grandfather).

Offline OlwenR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moloney Shop in Killaloe in 1901 & 1911
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
There is some information in the genealogy section at www.  clarelibrary.ie website about Killaloe. The Guys Directory has a Moloney on Main Street - Victualler.  If you search on the Photo section for Bridge Street there is one photo, or may you can post a query on their forum.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the Clare Library website http://www.clarelibrary.ie/

I'm interested in your Haskett connection. My great great grandmother was Mary Haskett who married James Walsh from Clare in the 1850s. I can't find any information on them before 1855 when they had moved to Westmeath. Whereabouts was your Haskett ancestor born?
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks OlwenR

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi agho,

My Haskett like comes from Clare & Tipperary. Here is part of a story I wrote about my great great great grandfather:

Big Davey Haskett was born in Ireland in 1793. Born a Protestant, he met and fell in love with a Catholic girl, by the name of Mary Finucane. At the age of 19, Big Davey secretely married Mary in Killaloe Co. Clare on February 1st, 1812. Due to the nature of their relationship, they were married by license - this was a way for the church to authorise a marriage that would otherwise have been deemed illegal. A Bond was usually taken out in the Diocese of the Bride to be. The Groom and a relative or friend would pay the church a sum of money a 'surety' or guarantee that there was no just cause or impediment that the marriage should not take place. The marriage license bonds records David's surname as "Hastings". The secret marriage was revealed after a 5 years and Big Davey was driven from his home in Ballyvalley Townland. They settled in Tountinna, Tipperary, across the river from Killaloe, and had several children, including John, Michael, David, Thomas, George, Mary, Kate, Margaret, and Robert.

Tountinna is centred around Tountinna hill, the highest peak of the Arra Mountains, at 459 metres. It means "Hill of the Wave" which refers to a tremendous flood that, according to the ancient Book of Invasions, drowned all the first Irish inhabitants except those survivors who took refuge on Tountinna. These mountains were formerly an important slate producing area and at one point some 15,000 tons of slate product was exported through Killaloe.

Fast forward to 1850 - the height of the Great Famine in Ireland. Big Davey's first wife, Mary, had died. He is now 57 years old and is married to Johanna Cummins (since 1845), a sister of his son John's wife. According to Griffiths Valuation, he is still living in Tountinna. The house he lives in was worth 14 s. (shillings), and his land was worth £1, 9s (About 151 euro in 2012 terms). Content of land was as follows: 5 acres, 1 rood, and 18 perches. Francis Spaight Esq. was his landlord. Spaight purchased the land, which was part of the the Derrycastle and Burgess estate in August 1844, and over the course of a number of years, he systematically cleared the land of peasant tenants. The estate was 3,000 acres in total. As well as being a wealthy landowner, Spaight was a major importer of lumber from several maritime ports of Canada. During the mid 1800s, he saw an opportunity to fill his out bound vessels - owned and chartered ones - with people instead of water for ballast and profit.

Son Michael by Big Davey's first wife Mary, and wife Mary Howard, emigrated to Canada in 1854, and some of his siblings also show up in the 1861 Canadian census. Big Davey himself emigrated to Canada some time in the 1860's, when he was aged between 67 and 77, along with several of his sons and daughters and his second wife Johanna, probably aboard one of Spaight's ships. The cost of passage per head was about £3, although it is possible that his sons, already living in Canada, may have paid for his voyage. They left from the Port of Limerick - the journey was hazardous and many of Spaight's ships were lost at sea during the 1800's. The ships on the Limerick-Quebec route were regularly inadaquately provisioned and the passengers would arrive at their destination in a very poor state of health, often starving. Conditions were crowded and filthy aboard the vessels, resulting in many passengers dying from cholera and dysentery. The voyage took about 45 days. Berths were simple spaces consisting of wooden platforms, usually six foot square and built into the ship’s timbers on either side of the hold, with a gangway down the middle. Each adult was usually allotted one quarter of a bunk, or 18x72 inches of bed space. There was no bedding, which is why passengers were advised to get a mattress before going on board. Passengers had to do their own cooking on deck. Food was often either half-cooked or not cooked at all, since when the weather was bad they were not allowed on deck. It is thought that the ship which carried Big Davey and his family was shipwrecked and that the passengers were miraculously saved, however, no record of this exists, and it is probably just a family legend. It is likely that they entered Canada through the port of Quebec. After some journeying, the family eventually settled in Newmarket, north of Toronto, in Ontario. Newmarket at that time was a thriving community, the first railway in Ontario had reached it in 1853, and it was the commercial hub for loading goods and produce from the surrounding farms and lumber mills for shipment to Toronto.

In the 1871 Newmarket census, Big Davey was listed as being 70 years old, of Irish origin, Roman Catholic, and a butcher by profession, married (to Johanna). Interestingly, both he and Johanna are listed as being unable to read or write. It is possible that his age is listed incorrectly, as it doesn't tally with his death record.

He died March 05, 1880 in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada, at the age of 87. He was buried in Newmarket Catholic Cemetery. Unfortunately, no headstone exists for his burial plot.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
dhaskett,
Thank you very much for that detailed, most interesting account of your ancestors. It's quite possible that there could be a link between your Haskett gggrandparents & mine but it could be very very difficult to prove. Clare records are not easily available. The library website is the best source on the internet.

Do you know if Davey Haskett's daughter Mary went to Canada or did she stay in Ireland? Could she possibly be my gggrandmother who married James Lynch? This branch of my family tree is my brick wall!

Good luck in your research.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Davey's daughther Mary married Austin or Martin Kelly, so it looks like she's not a match. I have no information about Big Davey's parents, but I do know that there were other Haskett's in Borrisokane in Co. Tipperary at the time, many of whom emmigrated to the US & Canada. My own grandfather tried to establish a link between the two families in the 1950s but didn't have any luck. Haskett is not a very common name (in Ireland anyway), so it is highly likely that we are related, but trying to prove it seems difficult to say the least. If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Offline justme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a photo of Main Street, Killaloe (taken in 1890) which shows a shop with the sign of MOLONEY & GAVIN. I think it could be a butcher shop.
On the back it says:- This photo was taken from the original glass plate of W.LAWRENCE.
The series was produced at O'Brien Studio, Bunratty. Maybe they have more photos of Killaloe. Might be worth getting in-touch with them......have to say that it was about twelve years ago since we were in Ireland and purchased the photo so it could be that they are not in business anymore ?? :-\
Lots of luck with it all,

Del
MORRISON  (Co Down Ireland, USA, Australia)
COX (Brighton Sussex)   
McGUINNESS (Kings Co & Co Clare) 
MALONEY  (Co Clare) 
GUNNY
LYNCH

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
There are some digitized photo from the Lawrence collection on the National Archives website - including a number of Killaloe

see : NAI Photo Archive, Killaloe

here's the one showing Moloney & Gavin : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests