Author Topic: Nicholas Gaul  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Gaul
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I AM EMBARASSED TO SAY I DON'T KNOW!!!!  I HAVE TRIED TO FIND OUT SOME INFO FROM THE CEMETERY RECORDS AND THE NEWSPAPER BUT NOTHING.  THIS IS MY FRIENDS GRANDFATHER AND SHE KNOWS VERY LITTLE ABOUT HIM, OTHER THAN WHERE HE IS BURIED AND THE DATE OF HIS DEATH.  I AM PRESUMING THAT THE OTHER GAULS AT THE SAME CEMETERY ARE RELATIONS. IT IS AN UNCOMMON NAME HERE IN NZ AND I WAS SUPRISED TO FIND OUT HE WAS IRISH.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
RM

There are 9 Richard Gaul born between 1870 and 1900 in the Wexford reg district, there may be others in neighboring districts.
I guess it would be possible to see if any of these 'disappear from the records in Ireland' but it's not the best way to go.
You friend must know when her parent was born, and hopefully if that parent had older siblings, that would at least give an idea of Richard's age.

Offline reta mahoney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, I will talk to my friend tomorrow at work and see what else she knows or get her to go down to the cemetry and check out the headstone.
Much appreciated.
RM

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm just reading over your post again, it sounds like your friend may be jumping to Ireland too fast.
She needs to know her parent's birth details to be sure of Richard's name, and in turn her grandparent's marriage (if it happened in New Zealand) to get their fathers and hopefully mothers names. Than start to search in Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I AM EMBARASSED TO SAY I DON'T KNOW!!!!  I HAVE TRIED TO FIND OUT SOME INFO FROM THE CEMETERY RECORDS AND THE NEWSPAPER BUT NOTHING.  THIS IS MY FRIENDS GRANDFATHER AND SHE KNOWS VERY LITTLE ABOUT HIM, OTHER THAN WHERE HE IS BURIED AND THE DATE OF HIS DEATH.  I AM PRESUMING THAT THE OTHER GAULS AT THE SAME CEMETERY ARE RELATIONS. IT IS AN UNCOMMON NAME HERE IN NZ AND I WAS SUPRISED TO FIND OUT HE WAS IRISH.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
RM

If you stopped "shouting" it would help.....

One could at least give a "guesstimate" as to his age!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.