Author Topic: Matterdale Farmers 1690 - Mounsey vs Huddleston  (Read 2642 times)

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matterdale Farmers 1690 - Mounsey vs Huddleston
« on: Tuesday 02 October 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have written about how a group of Matterdale farmers took the Lord of the Manor of Hutton John, Andrew Huddleston, all the way to the House Of Lords in 1690, fighting for their right to "common of pasture"

Their are various documents in the Carlisle archives about the first Assizes trial in 1686 (I have the references). I wonder if anyone might be interested in looking these up if they ever go to the County Record Office.

See link: https://thewildpeak.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/walking-to-london-for-justice/

Stephen Lewis

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Matterdale Farmers 1690 - Mounsey vs Huddleston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
If you care to send the references, I will look them up. The Archive Office is only half a mile away
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. It could be very illuminating!

The two I have are:D HUD 1/20  and D HGB/1/115. But there could be others. The first is from the Huddleston family's papers. The other from another family (I forget I'll look it up). But they both include details of the original Carlisle trial in 1686.

Stephen

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
D HGB/1/115  1666-1815

These documents are held at Cumbria Record Office, Carlisle Headquarters

Contents:
Papers relating to the rights of the Hudlestons as lords of the manor, and to the grievances of their tenants who complained of the Hudlestons' obstruction of their access to lands and peatbanks, and by their encroachments on the Common and swamping the Common with their (and Mr Blencow's) stock, including:
- Copy judgment in Crosbrigge v. Atkinson, that the tenants of Troubeck Gills have common rights on Mell Fell, 1666
- Complaints of the tenants to Lady Arundell and Surrey concerning:
Access to Matterdale Moss via Highgate (road over Hutton Moor), on which Mr Hudleston charges toll; overstocking the commons; driving the tenants' cattle off them, beating them (and the tenants), hounding them "with great Mastiff doggs"; starving and disabling them; encroaching on Flusco, building a cottage and enclosing 4 acres there; obstructing the local roads, undated [1666/7]
- Signatures/marks of 59 tenants of Stainton and Newbiggin, [1666/7]
- Order to her officers by Elizabeth, Countess Arundell and Surrey, to let William Hudleston graze her commons in the Barony, 1667
- Andrew Hudleston v. his tenants: his evidence, with sources, of his rights and their duties as to weir-repairs; heriots, gressom, fines, dues, services; wage-rates (stated); peat-digging; subdivided tenements; sales without his licence; riots; illicit ploughing and enclosing in the townfield; timber; duty of tenants to plant, 1668
- Bond of the 43 tenants in £1000 to observe the forthcoming arbitration award ordered by the Assizes in his dispute with them, 1668
- Copy of 32 Watermillock tenants' disownment of legal proceedings begun by other tenants against Andrew Hudleston as to common rights on "Hutton Moor or Wester Mellfell", 1684
- Hutton Soil enclosure papers:
Notice by George Wilkinson, agent to the Duke of Norfolk, of claims in right of property of the Duke at Penruddock, Hutton Soil, Hutton Soil Mill, Motherby, Gill, Matterdale, Matterdale Mill, Berrier, Greystoke, and Greystoke's three peat-mosses including Greena Moss, 1813
- Letter from Isa: Todhunter to H. Howard, Greystoke Castle gives details of how the manor's boon-services system worked in the past and now, 1818

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hudleston v. Mounsey and 53 others  D HUD 1/20  20th c

Contents:
Customary tenants in Matterdale and the Barony of Greystoke, concerning common claimed on Hutton Moor, Westermellfell, and Redmire, 1690: summary of the hearing in Common Pleas
Notes
Defendants won; appeal dismissed.

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Also interesting:

Papers in the lawsuit Todhunter and others v. Hudleston, and in the lawsuit Hudleston v. Slee  D HUD 1/30  1697 - 1760

Contents:
These lawsuits concerned the alterations of the customs, services, and tenure of tenants of the manor
Includes: schedule of court rolls, covering Nos. 1-6 (1563-1711); schedule of this lawsuit's writings produced at Penrith, 14 Oct. 1760; letter from the tenants to Wilfred Hudleston on their "Griefe" that they and he still differ, and on their resolve "not to se one another wronged, nor our Decre and Customs violated", nor themselves treated "like slaves", 22 July 1720.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Stephen
Rather than bore the pants off everyone, I will PM you with some questions.
I will make the results of the research available to all.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
great thanks. sent you a pm