Author Topic: McGregor (McGrigor) brickwall(s)  (Read 13370 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
McGregor (McGrigor) brickwall(s)
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 03:51 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my greatx2 grandfather, James McGregor (McGrigor)... my brickwall(s) are that I have been unsuccessful in finding his birth and his mother's name. Also as James seems to have been an "organised" man (he trains at least 4 apprentices) I had assumed he would have a headstone in a cemetery, but can't find that either.
His death details only show his father as John McGregor, Blacksmith (Master) (deceased) ... no mention of his mother.

All of my research has been through SP (I live in Australia)
... any help, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated

His details are as follows ...

1841 Census shows
Jas McGrigor aged 35, Occ: Tailor, Parish: Gartly
Jane McGrigor aged 25,
Alex McGrigor aged 8,
John McGrigor aged 6,
Jas McGrigor aged 5,
Jane McGrigor aged 3,
William McGrigor aged 5 months

1851 Census shows
James McGrigor aged 47, married, Master Tailor employs 2 men, at Drumbulg, Gartly
Jane McGrigor aged 40, married, wife
Alexander McGrigor aged 18, unmarried, son, Tailor (apprentice)
Jane McGrigor aged 13, unmarried, daughter, employed at home
William McGrigor aged 10, son, scholar
George McGrigor aged 7, son, scholar
Francis McGrigor aged 4, son
Summary
As John and James McGrigor, (they would be aged 16 and 15) are not showing on the census I assume they are either deceased or working away from home

1861 Census shows
James McGregor aged 58, widower, Master Tailor employs 2 men, at Drumbulg, Gartly and was born in Glass
Jane McGregor aged 25, unmarried, daughter
William McGregor aged 20, unmarried, son, Tailor (Journeyman)
Peter McGregor aged 11, son, scholar
Ann McGregor aged 8, daughter, scholar
Elizabeth Clyne aged 39, unmarried, domestic servant, born in Glass
John Smith aged 14, servant, Tailor (apprentice), born in Huntly
Jane Robertson aged 84, mother-in-law, widow, born in Insch
Summary
So, Jane (the mother) has died sometime between 1853 (Ann’s birth) and 1858 (she is shown as deceased on George’s death record). George McGregor died on the 3rd May 1858 aged 14 years. Francis McGregor is away from home working on the “Cantloch” property (148 acres) of George Henderson at Auchindoir. Francis McGregor is 14 years old. However, Jane Robertson needed to be researched as the mother-in-laws surname should have been Adam. A search on SP revealed that her maiden surname was Robertson and that she was the widow of Alexander Adam and that her parents were George and Ann Robertson (m.s. of Ann Robertson was McDonald). Jane Robertson died on the 11th November 1864. Note – on Jane Robertson’s ‘death certificate’ James McGregor signs his surname as McGrigor (there is a very definite dot above the i in McGrigor)

1871 Census shows
James McGregor aged 67, widower, Master Tailor employs 2 men, and farms 9 acres arable, at Drumbulg, Gartly and was born in Glass
Alexander McGregor aged 14, Grandson, Tailor (apprentice), born in Banff
Ann Proctor aged 19, unmarried, domestic servant, born in Marnoch
Duncan Grant aged 18, unmarried, Tailor (Journeyman)

1881 Census shows
James McGregor aged 78, widower, Master Tailor, farms 8.5 acres arable, at Drumbulg Farmhouse, Gartly, and was born in Glass
Ann Proctor aged 29, unmarried, domestic servant, born in Marnoch

1891 Census shows
James McGregor aged 89, widower, Crofter, at Drumbulg Farmhouse, Gartly, and was born in Glass
Ann Proctor aged 38, unmarried, domestic servant, born in Marnoch

he dies on 24 Jan 1892

CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor (McGrigor) brickwall(s)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
That is a lot of hard work there (seen also your tree on a/try which is pretty resourced with docs!).

A couple of questions in trying to help:

Have you checked the christening entries of the children to see if any family members may have acted as sponsors?

Have you checked out some of the OPR birth entries in Glass & Gartly where father shows as a John, such as:

- 10 May 1803 James McGrigor, parents John McGrigor and Anne Wilson, Glass, ref. 199/00 0010 0116. I thought this one had potential given the year (your James is pretty consistent on his age throughout). Also from his large family of boys, only two girls, Jane named after maternal grandmother likely and last born Ann, your line. This couple also have an entry for a Margaret on 4 July 1800.

- A second possibility is an entry for a Helen McGrigor on 16 June 1793 to a John McGrigor and a Jane Laing, ref. 199/00 0010 0094

I wondered whether any of these entries may have included an occupation for the father John that could help you.

familysearch/IGI doesn't seem to be picking up on the spelling variant of McGregor/McGrigor(e) etc, so you will have to try different versions on any searches. With SP, sure you are using the wildcards for searches  ;)

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:33 BST (UK) »

As John and James McGrigor, (they would be aged 16 and 15) are not showing on the census I assume they are either deceased or working away from home

In 1851, both John and James are working local in Gartly in different households.

1861, I thought this might be John:

John Mcgregor 27, ploughman b. Gartly
Elizabeth Mcgregor 30 b. Rhynie, Aberdeenshire

Address: 30 Lumsden V, Auchindoir, Aberdeenshire

And, also for 1861, a possibility for James:

James McGrigor 25, Blacksmith (journeyman) b. Gartly
Margaret McGrigor 33, Petty, Invernesshire
Jean McGrigor 3 b. Nairn
Margaret McGrigor 1 b. Huntly

Address: Market Street, Huntly

Monica

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 02:12 BST (UK) »
Monica, many thanks for your suggestions/guidance ... I have looked at birth OPR's on SP for Alexander and John and they contain only the basic info ... even the witnesses don't help  :( ... and as they are all OPR's for James' and Jane's children I guess that William and James (child) will only have basic info ... Jane (child) I can't find ...

... I had a look at James McGregor and Ann Wilson, as you suggested, and yes they looked very promising ... but then I looked at the 1841 census and found a John McGregor aged 55 and Ann aged 58 living at ????? (refer image 1 below) ... so maybe they are not right

... that's as far as I have got so far

... I have attached another image (Burnbrunach ... [?] ... ) ... it is the word that follows Jane Adam's name on Alexanders birth on OPR ... I am assuming that it is a place name (it doesn't come up on Google maps), but have noticed it appearing on some trees as a surname

... any further suggestions would be appreciated as it seems my McGregors are truly hiding in the mist

CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:02 BST (UK) »

... I had a look at James McGregor and Ann Wilson, as you suggested, and yes they looked very promising ... but then I looked at the 1841 census and found a John McGregor aged 55 and Ann aged 58 living at ????? (refer image 1 below) ... so maybe they are not right

Is this the entry you mean:

John Mcgrigor 55 schoolmaster b. Inverness-shire
Ann Mcgrigor 58 b. Inverness-shire
Marin Mcgrigor 30 b. Inverness-shire

Address: Camerory, Cromdale, Inverness-shire

Not sure this would necessarily connect with the christening entries in Glass at the turn of the century...

Not sure on place name as yet for Alexander's christening entry, will have a think on that.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
You know what it is like for sure with spellings of those unique Scottish places for this period....you have to be open minded!

There is this entry in 1841 which I wondered whether it is the same as you are seeing on Alexander's 1832 christining entry:

There is a farming family, headed up by a 73 year old William Bruce in 1841. The address shows as Burncruinock, Gartly.

For this, you are likely to also find it as Burncruinack/h etc. A number of wills & testaments showing on SP for the various farmers and family members through the 19th C.

Monica

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look through James Godsman's book on Glass to see if there are any McGregor blacksmiths - no sign. However, at Marketroad, Glass, were Alexander McGregor, master tailor (1832-1916) and his wife, Annie Lobban (1834-1899). Their son, Peter, built the neighbouring house of Roselea, where he carried on a grocery and tailor's business.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
"... I have attached another image (Burnbrunach ... [?] ... ) ... it is the word that follows Jane Adam's name on Alexanders birth on OPR ... I am assuming that it is a place name (it doesn't come up on Google maps), but have noticed it appearing on some trees as a surname."

It is a farm name, but spelt "Burncruinach". It was/is in the parish of Gartly, North West of Culdrain.

If you go to Google Maps, search for "Culdrain", at the top left of the screen, you will see "Burncruinach Wood", if you zoom in on the wood, there are 2 steadings above and left, Burncruinach is the upper, larger of the two. It has a loop road around it. You can also get a "Street view" of it.

Regards

Malky

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Further, he is buried in Gartly, in the same plot as

Jane Adam 30 Dec.1853,   George McGregor 3 May 1858,   Jane McGregor 10 Mar.1862 James McGregor    24 Jan.1892

Info from ANESFHS MI Index.

Regards

Malky