Author Topic: Looking for the Kilpatrick's & Bell's of Ahoghill  (Read 4808 times)

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the Kilpatrick's & Bell's of Ahoghill
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 04:31 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more info for Samuel Kilpatrick's family as well as Francis Bell's.

I have a marriage cert. for Hugh Kilpatrick of Limnaharry Township who married Mary Ann Bell of Ballylunnin Township in Ahoghill. On the cert it shows his father as Samuel Kilpatrick. Hugh's mother is Elizabeth Wilson which I found on another marriage cert in Scotland. Mary Ann's mother is ? Kennedy. They were married on 20 feb 1851 in the Presbyterian Church of Ahoghill.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Blair LeMire

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Kilpatrick's & Bell's of Ahoghill
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Wishing you luck, to start your search there are two Bell head of homestead in Ballylummin1862 consist of two side by side homesteads.  Francis has half the size of Samuels see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index
You will be able to look up if any Kilpatrick existed in 1862 in Limnaharry. You need help locating all the church records possible
Good luck, JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 06:30 BST (UK) »
Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request, I appreciate it!

Also, thanks for the website. I checked it out tonight and found the Bell's you mention. I also found a few other Bell's (Hugh, John, Joseph, Samuel and 3 Roberts) in the general area. Do you think it's likely they might be related since they all seemed to be near each other?

I did a search for Kirkpatrick's and Kilpatrick's but didn't find much that matches what I think I have. There were a few but the area is not quite right. This is 10 years after the only record I have of them in Ireland so maybe my family moved to a different area or possibly left Ireland?

Do you know if there are emigration records for this time period?

Man I tell you, Irish research can be tough!

You mention church records. What's the best way of searching through these?

Again, thanks for you help,

Blair LeMire

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
try http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy
try PRONI
presume you have exhausted familysearch.com

I am out of my depth, so over to others to suggest possible followups to yougood luck,Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
PRONI holds copies of the records for Ahoghill. These records are on microfilm and are not on-line, so you either need to go in person or get someone to look them up on your behalf.

There are 3 Presbyterian churches in Ahoghill. The records for the 1st start in 1841; the 2nd’s (also known as Trinity) start in 1859 for baptisms, 1845 for marriages & the 3rds (also known as Brookside) in 1835. (Earlier records have all been lost).

You ask if there are emigration records for this period. Do you mean to Scotland (since you mention a marriage in Scotland in your first post)? If so, the answer is no. Travel from Co Antrim to Scotland or England was, and still is, a domestic journey. No records have ever been kept for that type of short journey within the same country.

If your family are listed in Griffiths and had some land, then the next set of records prior to that are the tithe applotment records. Those for Ahoghill were compiled in 1825 and again are held in PRONI (on film MIC15AA/2). Though you can buy them on a CD too from some commercial sources.

You can check for wills, post 1858, on this site:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi 
   There is a Samuel KIRKPATRICK of Limnaharry in the wills calendar complete with an image of the will. He died in 1894.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lemirefh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 12 00:05 BST (UK) »
Everyone, thanks! All your replies have been very helpful. Sounds like PRONI is the best way to continue my research. Hopefully one of these days I'll make it out to Ireland.

Thanks for the clarification on emigration. I'm starting to come up to speed on research in this area.

I did check the wills section and did find the will for the Samuel Kirkpatrick. Possibly related, maybe a brother or son? The Samuel I'm looking for died before 1870. At least that is what was recorded on his son Hugh's marriage record in Scotland.

Again thanks everyone, you leads are very helpful.

Blair

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

One of my Ahoghill ancestors , Joseph Bankhead, weaver in Glenhue, married a Mary Kilpatrick sometime prior to 1844. In the Ahoghill registers you will find children Peggy Jane 1844, Mary June 1846, and Thomas 1852. I haven't found the marriage record so can't help with Mary's parents

Regards

Matt

Offline Lakota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more info for Samuel Kilpatrick's family as well as Francis Bell's.

I have a marriage cert. for Hugh Kilpatrick of Limnaharry Township who married Mary Ann Bell of Ballylunnin Township in Ahoghill. On the cert it shows his father as Samuel Kilpatrick. Hugh's mother is Elizabeth Wilson which I found on another marriage cert in Scotland. Mary Ann's mother is ? Kennedy. They were married on 20 feb 1851 in the Presbyterian Church of Ahoghill.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Blair LeMire

I don't know when these entries were posted and maybe by now you have found the answers.  If you are still searching please contact me. The Bells you mentioned are my family.
Regards June (Bell)
Lang & Stevenson - Elderslie, Renfrew
Bell & McKeown - Ahoghill, Co. Antrim