Author Topic: William Fowler in Jersey, b. Sheffield 1886, owned Jeffrey's Leap  (Read 2781 times)

Offline nicknock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Fowler in Jersey, b. Sheffield 1886, owned Jeffrey's Leap
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
hi everyone.

can anyone help me with info on my great grandfather William Fowler? he's being somewhat elusive. he was born in sheffield in 1886, and he was there or thereabouts until at least 1924 when he divorced his first wife. that much i know.

after that, it's all down to family memories (and lack of...  ???).

my grandmother, his daughter, remembers that he married a lady later on in life by the name of Foster but can't remember her first name, and she can't remember whether they were married in england or jersey, or when. certainly she was in jersey with him.

what also seems fairly certain is that he or they owned Jeffrey's Leap (a tea shop at the time, i think), although again, i don't know when.

i don't know when he died, but i imagine it was in jersey - i can't find his death in english records...

i'm sorry to be so incredibly vague but i'm hoping that it may trigger something in someone. a massively long shot, i know, but some of these events could feasibly be within living memory.

i am in england, with (disinterested?) family in jersey, so searching the archives in jersey is an option but if i could narrow down some dates it would be incredibly useful!

many thanks (and crossed fingers!)
nicknock
Robertson: Bute/Greenock/Stepney/Liverpool
Lamont: Bute/Argyll
Clough: Howden, Yorkshire
Carter: Howden and Knottingley,Yorkshire/Eccleshall, Staffs
Firth: Sheffield
Fowler: Sheffield
Quipp: Lincoln
Metcalf: Barnard Castle/Lincoln
Liddiard: Leicester/West London
Proudlock: Northumberland/CoDurham/Mauritius/Derby