Author Topic: Look up please of birth/baptism in Athlone  (Read 4775 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Look up please of birth/baptism in Athlone
« on: Thursday 04 October 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
Wondering if anyone can assist with a look up of a birth/baptismal record of an Elizabeth Mary Cook born about 1848 at Athlone, Westmeath.  Her father, John Cook,  was a 'private' in the 7th Queens Own Regiment of Hussars and mother's maiden name was Nutt (Martha) both of whom were born in England.  The family were Protestants.

I don't know why John's regiment was in Ireland at the time, another project to investigate!
Many thanks
Bonnie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please of birth/baptism in Athlone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
Civil Birth records didn't commence in Ireland until 1864, so you would need to check for a possible baptism.

See :  Introduction to Irish Records

Athlone was split between two  counties - most of the area east of the Shannon was in Co. Westmeath and to the west in Co. Roscommon, and there are a number of Church of Ireland parishes that cover the town and surrounding area.

The main CofI parish for the Roscommon section of the town is St. Mary's, but historic baptisms for this parish only seem to go back to the 1870s. The Eastern section of the town was covered by St. Peter's which have records back to the 1760s. These are available in the RCB Library in Co. Dublin. These dont seem to be included on the RootsIreland website

A Church of Ireland baptism from this time would probably not add very much detail - usually these dont include mother's maiden surname - but may include the father's occupation.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,  Many thanks your response.  I am the 'kindy category' of  internet researching so great that you have pointed me in the right direction where to kick off ... here goes ... you may well hear from me very soon to get more advice ... Bonnie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
I don't know why John's regiment was in Ireland at the time, another project to investigate!

Army regiments were send to various home bases for service and training during their time - 'home' bases included Ireland at this time.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests