Author Topic: Bastardy Laws  (Read 3489 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bastardy Laws
« on: Friday 05 October 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
I found this record in the Derbyshire Bastardy Papers for Staveley where my GGG Grandmother Alice Cowlishaw gives her account as to how her daughter Dorothy became pregnant "Alice COWLISHAW of Brimington, mother of Dorothy COWLISHAW a deaf and dumb woman and sworn to interpret for her. Saith that she (Dorothy) is with child and that John LAURENCE of Staveley Woodhouse is the father. She had connection twice, once at the well once more when she was milking. First time in John HINCH? cowhouse about four o'clock in the morning it was then dark in a great snow and very cold weather. Second time it was five o'clock. That it happened a bit after John LAURENCE was married. Child expected  Christmas.  1799"
My question is, would John Lawrence have been forced to take responsibilty for the resulting child and what form would that take. I can find no record of a Cowlishaw birth for end of 1799 or early 1800 that would indicate that Dorothy was raising the child as her own. However, I have found a record of the birth of Amey Lawrence in January 1800, parents John and Sarah Lawrence of Staveley.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Laws
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

BASTARDY PAPERS record the efforts the Overseers made in ensuring fathers of illegitimate children paid for the upkeep of the child.

Was your information from the Yesterday Journey site?  I don't think you will know until you send for a copy of the document.  I have several Bastardy Bonds and the fathers did acknowledge the children, so they did pay for the upkeep of the children. 

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol. I originally found the account when doing some research at the DRO in Matlock some years ago but again very recently found it on Yesturday Journey site. I have been offered some help in getting a copy of the document so am looking forward to learning more.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:34 BST (UK) »
They are well worth having - loads of information on mine.  My ancestor had 4 illegitimates,  3 of them were acknowledged by a local farmer.  I never have found out who the 4th one belonged to.

I forgot to say, I am also researching Cowlishaw's.  Mine were from Pinxton, Alfreton & North Wingfield.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say, I am also researching Cowlishaw's.  Mine were from Pinxton, Alfreton & North Wingfield.

Carol

That's good to know, my lot also came from North Wingfield back in the early 18th Century.

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I will send you a PM later

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon