Author Topic: Royal Welsh fusiliers help please?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Welsh fusiliers help please?
« on: Friday 05 October 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Evan Llewellyn Evans (b.1892) joined the royal welsh fusiliers and fought in the first world war. I notice that the fusiliers is split into battalions with some being numbers (ie. the 8th battalion) and some giving the place they came from. (ie. Caernavon) As he came from Llanelly, does anyone know what battalion covers that area? I know he got some medals but have no idea about his number or where they fought.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Welsh fusiliers help please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
All battalions had a number.

See
http://www.1914-1918.net/rwf.htm
where you will see that no battalion has a connection to the South in terms of where formed etc.
The Territorial Battalions (4th to 7th) are based on North Wales counties. Note it says that the 2nd 6th was formed at Carmarthen but this is an error in a source document that is perpetuated throughout the internet. They were formed at Carnarvon.

In the medal cards there is only one Evan L (or Ll) Evans in the RWF and he was 3930 later 130580 in the Royal Engineers. However he died in July 1916 and was born Barmouth and is this one
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/82799/EVANS,%20ELLEWELYN
His RWF number will be a Territorial one and, given his home, was undoubtedly the 7th Battalion which covered Merioneth & Montgomeryshire.

There are over 40 'plain' Evan Evans in the medal cards.

Do you know the date he enlisted and was it straight into the RWF? If it's a case that the story is that he was in the RWF and not joined the RWF then he could have transferred in from eg the Welsh Horse (two Evan Evans at least)

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:05 BST (UK) »

Do you have access to the medals. The number will be on the rim.

Gwil

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

I dont know if you are aware but The Welsh Royal Fusiliers has a Museum within Caerarfon Castle,maybe they can help.

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
No unfortunately I don't know what happened to his medals or when he enlisted. I know he caught maleria because he was plagued with it during his life. He got a few medals and was in the home guard during world war two. He died in 1970. So he may have been in the 7th battalion. I have heard there is a museum but its a little far away for me as I live in Hampshire. Thankyou for your help. I don't suppose you know how I would find out his number? I know he was a private.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

Maybe an idea to look at their Web Site.I noticed there is a Forum as well.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 October 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how you arrive at the 7th Battalion.

I have had a look at some of your other topics regarding Evan. I note his mother was Elizabeth and father Llewelyn was deceased by wartime (I think)
Have you eliminated the Evan Evans, same age, mother Elizabeth at Morfa House Llanelly in 1911? She is shown as married only 9 yrs (to Daniel Evans) but there are two sons showing, Evan 18 and David 15. That Elizabeth was born Pontyberem. It doesn't say whether the two sons are hers or Daniel's.  This particular Evan Evans was 11010 in the Welsh Regiment

Gwil

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 October 12 14:50 BST (UK) »
My mother remembers her gran was called Elizabeth and her grandfather Llewellyn and has seen photos of them together. Llewellyn was named as Evan Llewellyns father on his marriage certificate. (Evan married in 1928 and it said his father was deceased.) Evan was in the Royal Fusiliers my mum and aunts have assured me. I have a photo of him in uniform. Evan was a very common name but I am sure I have the right one as I have his family going back further than Elizabeth. Also most of his family lived in and around Mill St in Llanelly. Evan was born at number 1, Powell Place Seaside which was the home of John Evans. Elizabeth's parents lived at 8 Mill St where she went shortly after having him as in the census it listed her and her parents there and Evan named as her mothers son so obviously her mother was bringing him up as her own due to Elizabeth being unmarried at the time of Evan's birth but it was always assumed Llewellyn was the father. I think they finally married in 1909. This is unconfirmed at the moment. Regarding the 7th battalion, that is only a guess as I am totally confused by army talk. Thankyou for your help.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
I take it you meant to say Royal Welsh Fusiliers there (not Royal Fusiliers, a separate Regiment)

If the photo has a cap badge showing can you post it here?

Gwil