Author Topic: BOXALL (and variants), All  (Read 43735 times)

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOXALL (and variants), All
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 February 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronnie

I have a BOXALL in my family - this line is in Kent

Mary Boxall (b c1820) married William Harris (1815)

They are both buried in St Margarets Chuchyard in Lee in Kent.

I think (though cant prove it yet) that Mary's parents were Edward and Rebecca ? and that they had at least one other daughter Caroline (b 1814 in Orpington)

Caroline then married a John Venn and they had 4 children - William 1831 George 1834  Edward 1847 Emily 1852

I would love to knwo more on this line as I am trying to prove a link between Mary and Caroline (as sisters) but so far Im having no luck

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline ronniem

• RootsChat Extra
  • BOXALL Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 February 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronnie
I have a BOXALL in my family - this line is in Kent
Mary Boxall (b c1820) married William Harris (1815)
They are both buried in St Margarets Chuchyard in Lee in Kent.
I think (though cant prove it yet) that Mary's parents were Edward and Rebecca ? and that they had at least one other daughter Caroline (b 1814 in Orpington)
Caroline then married a John Venn and they had 4 children - William 1831 George 1834  Edward 1847 Emily 1852
I would love to knwo more on this line as I am trying to prove a link between Mary and Caroline (as sisters) but so far Im having no luck
Anna x

Hi Anna,

The details for Caroline are correct but her sister Mary was born in 1815.

How certain are you of your Mary's birth? 
Do you have details of her marriage to William HARRIS? 
More information on Mary would be a lot of help and the Marriage certificate would help.

Kindest regards
Ronnie
BOXALL One Name Study
I'm also researching my own line.
CARPENTER (Petersfield, Hampshire)
PITTS;  RICHARDS;  TARGETT; LANE; FALLA;

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 February 06 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I am not at all certain as the info was gained from the 1841 census when ages were rounded up and down.
I have found no marriage for William and Mary either so no certificates or other real proof!!! (pooey)
but it is nice to be able to confirm that Caroline and Mary were sisiters

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline panjela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I am descended from James Burgess Boxall (1815-1882) who I think  - I have been unable to find a record of their marriage and they stated they were unmarried on the 1881census although head and wife -married Margaret Sophia Aston. They had Emily Eliza born 1844, married Joseph Smith ( and /or Mr Dickinson?);Sarah in 1847 who married a Mr Harris, had 4children , and 'ran off to America';Margaret born 1850, married John Samuel Webb; Mary born 1856 married Benjamin Hughes and had two children Gladys and Hugh; and Alfred born who married Annie ? and had 3children Arthur, Harold and Hilda.
James was born in Cranleigh  and lived in Kingston on Thames. I would love to know how he acquired the Burgess bit of his name...I have a miniature of Emily if any of her descendants are interested. I have more info on Gladys and Hugh and their offspring - my line...
Any info about James Burgess Boxall a builder in Kingston gratefully received..
Panjela

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Burgess is likely to be a female maiden name (normally it is the mothers, but in my family I have found it to be the grandmothers)

Best wishes

Anna x
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline ronniem

• RootsChat Extra
  • BOXALL Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I am descended from James Burgess Boxall (1815-1882) who I think  - I have been unable to find a record of their marriage and they stated they were unmarried on the 1881census although head and wife -married Margaret Sophia Aston. They had Emily Eliza born 1844, married Joseph Smith ( and /or Mr Dickinson?);Sarah in 1847 who married a Mr Harris, had 4children , and 'ran off to America';Margaret born 1850, married John Samuel Webb; Mary born 1856 married Benjamin Hughes and had two children Gladys and Hugh; and Alfred born who married Annie ? and had 3children Arthur, Harold and Hilda.
James was born in Cranleigh  and lived in Kingston on Thames. I would love to know how he acquired the Burgess bit of his name...I have a miniature of Emily if any of her descendants are interested. I have more info on Gladys and Hugh and their offspring - my line...
Any info about James Burgess Boxall a builder in Kingston gratefully received..
Panjela
Hi Panjela,
All the children were registered under the name BURGESS
Emily Eliza BURGESS b. Sep qtr 1844 Kingston 4 196
Sarah Sophia BURGESS b. Jun qtr 1847 Kingston 4 206
Margaret Maria BURGESS b. Mar qtr 1849 Kingston 4 250
Alfred James BURGESS b. Dec qtr 1850 Kingston 4 235
Mary Jane BURGESS b. Dec qtr 1855 Kingston 2a 167?
all the children marriages are registered as BOXALLs with BURGESS as a middle name.

This leads me to believe that either James was actually a BURGESS and changed his name to BOXALL or he did not marry Margaret and her last name is BURGESS and not ASTON as you indicate.
I do not know anything more about James BURGESS BOXALL other than his and Margaret's death's.

Might I suggest you purchase one of the children's birth certificates and check the details.  I've followed the family through the Census' from 1851 where they are listed as BOXALL. 
Please keep me informed about what you find I would love to be in on your discoveries.
Kindest regards
Ronnie
BOXALL One Name Study

Offline panjela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ronnie, Margaret was definitely an Aston born! If James was born Burgess there is a birth at Cranleigh of the right date to John and Sarah Burgess on IGI Jan1st 1816. As you probably know, the three James Boxalls born at Cranleigh are 1775, 1783 and 1820 - so very unlikely to be him...
So, why would he have changed his name? Was his mother Sarah a Boxall? How do I go about finding out? Have you also been unable to find a marriage cert for James and Margaret?
What info do you have on the Cranleigh Boxalls?
I think we have been in touch before, when I was doing some preliminary research on my great great grandparents. I have since 'properly' done five other sets of gggpts and will be hitting the Boxalls seriously next. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.
Panjela

Offline ronniem

• RootsChat Extra
  • BOXALL Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ronnie, Margaret was definitely an Aston born! If James was born Burgess there is a birth at Cranleigh of the right date to John and Sarah Burgess on IGI Jan1st 1816. As you probably know, the three James Boxalls born at Cranleigh are 1775, 1783 and 1820 - so very unlikely to be him...
So, why would he have changed his name? Was his mother Sarah a Boxall? How do I go about finding out? Have you also been unable to find a marriage cert for James and Margaret?
What info do you have on the Cranleigh Boxalls?
I think we have been in touch before, when I was doing some preliminary research on my great great grandparents. I have since 'properly' done five other sets of gggpts and will be hitting the Boxalls seriously next. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.
Panjela
I believe you are correct in that James was baptised James BURGESS jan 1st 1816, I've looked at microfiche and extracted all the BOXALLs and there is no James BOXALL bpt in 1816.  The next move would be to find the marriage of his parents, this does not appear to be in Cranleigh.  Maybe finding his parents in the 1851 Census would throw answer some question only if to answer where were his parents married?

Sorry I don't have any other answers for you at this time.  Please do keep me informed on what you find out.

Thanks
Ronnie
BOXALL One Name Study

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 26 June 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie

I have just found that I may be descended from Sarah Boxell, born about 1795 in Stockbridge. She married Charles Read, possibly in Stockbridge, and then seems to have gone to Salisbury. I found a SB on IGI born 1793, with girl siblings - parents John and Jane. Do you have any info on this family?

Thank you

Helen
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales