Author Topic: (Richard) Keegans of North King Street  (Read 10972 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Richard) Keegans of North King Street
« on: Sunday 07 October 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to hear from anyone with links to Keegans who lived in North King Street, Dublin from (probably before) 1850ish to at least 1864.

I was particularly looking for a Richard when I came across a grave at Glasnevin with three Richards from North King Street, two from number 141 and one unspecified, but all different time-frames to be the one I was looking for, or to belong to the same generation of the same family.  House number 141 is defintely associated with my family in 1864.   As there were so many and the intervals too long and over-lapping to be siblings, but too short to be different generations in the same line, I am guessing that there were several generations of the same family living nearby and/or possibly several family units of the same generation and that Richard was a very important name in this family.

From the on-line directories, I've found a John at number 8 and a Patrick at 146 (in 1846) so possibly contempories of my direct ancestor Richard but cannot work out the relationships.

Also two of the Richards that I found in the grave died in 1864 and 1866.  Should they not have corresponding death registrations by then?  I can't find them in the index.

From the directories, the parish appears to be St Michan's, would this also be St Michan's RC for church records?

I can't find any references in the Irish Times or the Criminal records so would be grateful for further suggestions in solving this mystery.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Keegans of North King Street
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to hear from anyone with links to Keegans who lived in North King Street, Dublin from (probably before) 1850ish to at least 1864.
From the on-line directories, I've found a John at number 8 and a Patrick at 146 (in 1846) so possibly contempories of my direct ancestor Richard but cannot work out the relationships.
From the directories, the parish appears to be St Michan's, would this also be St Michan's RC for church records?

I think the 1846 address for John should be number 81..

I've just added two street listings to my website from directories that might be of Interest. These are from Pettigrew and Oulton from 1834 and 1840. see : 1834 & 1840 street listings

These are still being finalized, and the list of streets for the 1840 edition are not completed yet. King Street North is on pages 39 and 40.

You mentioned an 1864 record for your Keegans - does this mention an occupation for your Richard ?

Based on baptisms on IrishGenealogy - most of the North King St. baptisms up to the late 1820s took place in St. Mary's (Marlborough St), after that time St. Michan's. A few appear in St. Agatha's.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Once again Shane, you are a star.

I love the new directories.  The presentation is so clear and easy to use.

I still can't find my Richard there, but I know there was a Richard listed as head of a household there in 1851.  Would there be documents anywhere that could provide more information?

I only have an occupation as labourer from an 1864 civil marriage record and have been unsuccessful in finding any burial for a Richard of the right age that would tie him to an address. He is listed as deceased on the marriage of a probable sister of my GGgrandmother in 1872.

From the sister's RC marriage I had a possible name for his wife and when I found a potential burial for her at Glasnevin, it came up with 3 Richards, none the right age for my GGGgrandfather but two who died at the exact address that my GGgrandmother married from in 1864, one a couple of years earlier and one only a couple of months later than the wedding so I am confident that they must be family, but can't work out how they are related.

I'm now off to see who else I can find in your new directories!
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately if your Richard was a labourer them he probably wouldn't appear in directory listings.

I'm guessing from the 1851 date you mentioned, that you already checked the city census extract for that year ?

I had a quick look at Keegan records on IrishGenealogy, a number of Keegans with King St. North addresses in St. Michan's but nothing promising for Richard, or any for those specific addresses. Problem is that people in rental type accommodation in the city tended to move around around quite a bit - so could change parish as well as address, quite often..

In the 1830s, 141 North King Street was a lodging house, and later tenements, so the occupants probably changed quite often...

1834 - Andrew Spearman, lodgings
  1840 - [no listing for 141]
  1848 - J. Sheridan, prov. dealer
  1850 - J. Sheridan, prov. dealer
  1852 - [vacant]
  1857 - 139-145 tenements
  1863 - Christopher Andrews, prov. dealer
  1868 - 141 & 142 - tenements

Griffith's dated 27th May 1854, seems to show number 141 as lodgings.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
thanks Shane,

you've been working very hard!

The 1851 reference, I found from a list (transcribed from a transcribed list? I think)  of heads of households in 1851.  When you mention an extract, does that mean there might be more info available?

The irishgenealogy.ie site doesn't seem to have anything like enough records to cover all these Richards, so I thought maybe I was missing the nearest church?! 

My GGgrandmother married in 1864, giving the bride's address as 141 North King Street, but unfortunately in a registry office so no extra details than on the cert.  She and her husband then seem to have moved several times in the first few years of their marriage but on irishgenealogy.ie, I found another Keegan marrying from the address where they were then living.  As it was an RC marriage, it gave a mother's name too but stated that both had died so after failing to find the father, I searched for the mother and found a family grave with burials in 1852, 1854 (the mother), 1862, 1864 & 1866.  The 1862 & 1864 burials both gave the address as 141 North King Street.  The two earlier ones were the same street but no number given.  This would seem to indicate that they didn't move far over a period of more than 10 years, especially as there was a Richard on the 1851 list of heads of households there.

The confusing thing is that I have three Richards in the same grave as the mother but none born early enough to be the father of my GGgrandmother.  One could be a brother but the other two were born quite a bit later so more likely to be nephews, indicating that my GGgrandmother had (other) brothers too.

I'm also having great difficulty finding civil records to match the deaths of the 1864 and 1866 burials, although I hope that I have now got the reference for the birth of the 1866 baby.

thanks again,
Sheila

PS just a suggestion but the pages preceding the street listing in 1834 look extremely useful too!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
The 1851 reference, I found from a list (transcribed from a transcribed list? I think)  of heads of households in 1851.  When you mention an extract, does that mean there might be more info available?

heads of household and address is all this has. Slightly better than Griffith's though, since it includes heads of households for occupants of tenements etc..

see : http://www.origins.net/help/aboutio-dub1851.aspx

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
thanks for the link Shane

I'm not a member of the origins site but now I know that it has the street number as well as the street name, I need to think about joining or accessing the full list somewhere.  Is it at the National Library or Archives?

However, you have the house listed as vacant in 1852 so I'm guessing Richard would not have moved there until after that.  Or perhaps he died about then and Charlotte, his wife, moved in with other relatives after his demise?  Or, of course, the head of household listed there may be a completely different Richard Keegan as none of the ones on the burial record that I have would have been old enough to be head of a household in 1851.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not a member of the origins site but now I know that it has the street number as well as the street name, I need to think about joining or accessing the full list somewhere.  Is it at the National Library or Archives?

Available at the National Archives - I think there may be a copy on film in the National Library also..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: (Richard) Keegans of North King Street
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
I've just modified the heading to this thread.

Is anyone out there related to a Richard Keegan who lived in Dublin during the 19th Century?

The one I was looking for was possibly originally from Bray (but like many of my very early notes, I have not recorded a source for that) and must have been born prior to 1830 and seems to have married a Charlotte Pearson mid-to-late 1840s or before.

However, I realise that I now have details of the burials of 3 more Richard Keegans who all died in the 1860s, and would like to know how they relate to my family.

I suspect (but would need to see the address on the birth registration to confirm this) that one of them is the infant son of a Richard Keegan and Henrietta Kavanagh.

I'm struggling a bit as the 1864 and 1866 deaths should have been registered, but I can't find references for them on FamilySearch.  The rest are earlier so I'm at a loss how to cross-reference them.

The addresses I have are North King Street and North Brunswick Street.