Author Topic: James McKellar  (Read 4004 times)

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McKellar
« on: Sunday 07 October 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me with my ggggrandfather?

James McKellar was born on the twenty fourth of June 1817 in the town of Gourock on the River Clyde. He married Isabella Shearer on 9/4/1839 at Greenock Middle Church, Renfrewshire. His seafaring career began in 1929. Apart from one, all of his ships were paddle steam tugs, although there was some accommodation for passengers/cargo on some of them. He first served on the James McInroy for thirty seven months. This was followed by the Samson in 1831 which was the first steam tug in Europe. Then followed by the Hercules in 1833, Agnes, a brigantine, and back on the Samson in 1835. He then returned to the Hercules for seven years.
   By now he was quite experienced and so from 1845 he was Master on board, starting with the Champion then Defiance and Jenny Lind. Four years on the Helen Faucit and Helen McGregor takes us to 1853 when he took charge of the Robert Bruce. This was quite a large vessel and although competent, James had not taken his Masters examinations. He did apply however on 12th August 1857, and passed on 17th August. Address at the time was 14, Hamilton Street, Greenock. The 1871 census has James as master on tugs Eliza and Rover at Greenock.
James died on 3/7/1876 at Gourock Infirmary of apoplexy aged 59.
   In 1851 James was at 43, Hamilton Street, Greenock with Isabella, daughter Helen and possibly his father, also James aged 57. The census transcript has this James born Kilmarn (Kilmun?) in Argyllshire, but the quality is poor. Unfortunately I can’t find the 1817 birth record for James. James (1794) married Isobel(Isabella) Gillies on 25th January 1813 and on the marriage entry James is described as a boatman in Gourock. With Gillies being in granddaughter Annabella’s middle name and 1794 James at the same address as James 1817, I would assume that he is the father. James 1817 seaman’s record says he was born in Gourock, living in Hamilton Street, Greenock.
James senior was a paddle boat steamer Captain from Glasgow/Greenock to Ireland and Liverpool. There were at least a dozen Captain McKellers on the Clyde then.
Siblings:
William McKellar b. 3/6/1821, bap. 22/6/1821 Inverkip, Renfrew, parents James McKellar and Isabella Gillies.
Peter McKellar b.28/4/1823 bap. 2/5/1823 Inverkip, parents James McKellar and Isabella Gillies.
Margaret McKellar b. 19/6/1825 bap. 10/7/1825. Greenock, parents James McKellar and Isabella Gillies.
Janet McKellar b. 21/3/1827 bap. 15/4/1827 Greenock, parents James McKellar and Isabella Gillies.
Likely to be other births for James and Isabella between marriage in 1813 and 1820.

I can't find the birth records of either James senior or junior or the death record of James senior and I need them to move on. I have a death entry for a James McKellar of 13/5/1878 in Gourock but it's not my James. This one was married to Jane Anderson in Gasgow in 1839.

Any help would be much appreciated

Rgds

Jim

Online elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James McKellar
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi JimMcL
you say that the James who died 13/5/1878 is not yours
but according to Inverclyde intimations that James was a Captain on the steamer Samson
here is what there is on there
Marriage
Record
McKELLAR Isabella 1838 Isabella, 2nd daughter of Captain James McKellar
of the steamer „Samson‟ to Duncan Clark jnr, at
Greenock on 6th February 1838 by Rev McBean.
(Greenock Advertiser 12.2.1838) see Captain
James
and
Death
Record
McKELLAR James 1878 Captain James McKellar died at Clarmount,
Gourock on 13th May 1878 age 77 (Greenock
Advertiser 14.5.1878 and Greenock Telegraph
14.5.1878) see Isobella

just seems to be a bit of a coincidence  :)
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Online elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 01:58 BST (UK) »
JimMcL
there is another death in 1878 for a James McKellar

Death
Record
McKELLAR James 1878 James, son of James McKellar, labourer, died at
25 Crescent Street Greenock in May 1878
(Greenock Telegraph 31.5.1878)
this doesn't have an age or any other details
just thought it was worth posting,
note the date of deaths
31/5/1878
13/5/1878
do you have a copy of the death cert for the one married to Jane Anderson
Elaine

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

With all the info that Elaine has found, just adding this possible Will & Testament entry on SP:

James MACKELLAR, 20 June 1878. Shipowner, High Ashton, Gourock. Died on 13 May 1878. at High Ashton. Testate. Paisley Sheriff Court. Ref. SC58/42/46 (10 Pages - not indicated what document type it is).

Monica  :)

Added: This does seem to be the death entry you mentioned, with wife showing as Jane Anderson (parents John, a seaman, and a Mary Black). Hugh, son, reported the death of this James who showed as aged 77 on 1878, so from this born c. 1801?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I have the death cert for James 13/5/1878 at Clairmont, Gourock aged 77 widower of Jane Anderson. Informant Hugh McKellar. This James' will leaves everything to Hugh plus £500 each to Margaret and Elizabeth, 'children of my late son James'. Very tempting but with having him married to Jane Anderson (Glasgow 25/9/1838) rather than Isabella Gillies (Greenock 25/1/1813) would seem to eliminate him. Also my gxgrandfather James (b1817) would have been born 21 years before the marriage.
The Marriage entry for James to Isabella Shearer at Greenock on 9/4/1839 describes him as pilot.
His seaman's record has him as pilot in 1839 and Master from 1845 although he didn't take the exam until 17/8/1858 (there weren't any examinations or certificates before the 1850s). His death entry on 3/7/1876 describes him as tugboatman aged 59.
I did see the marriage of Isabella to Duncan Clark in 1838. His boats include two periods on the Samson. 1831-1833 and 1835 to 1837, both as pilot. From 1837 to 1845 he was on the Hercules but that doesn't mean he was exclusively on that and probably would be back on the Samson now and then but not as Captain. To complicate matters there were two Samsons. The first was a passenger/cargo steamer that plied between Greenock and Glasgow built 1819 and the second was a steam tug built 1830. Another Captain James McKellar of Glasgow sailed out of Liverpool to the Far East, Carribean etc. and he died in Birkenhead. It's getting complicated isn't it?

In 1851 census for 43 Hamilton Street James senior aged 57 is Master of a lighter. I think it unlikely he would become a labourerer. It is possible that that James may have been the son of James McKellar and Jane Anderson mentioned in the will.

On Scotlands People there seems to be a black hole for James and Isabella's births between their marriage in 1813 and 1820 so I think my next step is to get the birth records of the siblings after 1820 and see whether they have more information on the parents.

Once again thanks so much for you help. Having two minds on it makes a big difference.

All the best

Jim

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine and Monica,

I've just got the birth records of James' siblings.

William lawful son of James McKellar mariner in Gourock and Isabella Gillies his spouse born 3rd June 1821 baptised 22nd June
Peter lawful son of James McKellar Seaman of Gourock and Isabel Gillies spouse, was born 28th April 1823 baptised 22nd May
Margaret daughter of James McKellar Master of the steamboat Hercules, and Isabella Gillies born 19th Jun 1825 baptised 10th July
Janet, daughter to James McKellar Shipsmaster and Isabella Gillies born 21 March 1827 baptised 15th April

Best Regards

Jim

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Jim Again

I meant to mention there was a James McKellar labourer died 3/12/1873 in Greenock Poorhouse aged 75. His wife was Ann McGilvray. Not the one we're looking for.

Rgds

Jim

Online elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Jim
do you have a death for James's wife Isobel Gillies
just wondering if the marriage to Jane Anderson could
have been a second marriage
Elaine

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Nothing really new to add, just some questions from me too.

• Was Helen the only living daughter/child of James and wife Isabella Shearer? See from other material she married in Ireland in 1860 and remained there?
  • Did Isabella Shearer died before 1855? Couldn't easily see anything for her post this date.
  • When you mention a granddaughter named Anabella Gillies, is this a daughter for Helen?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk