Author Topic: 2nd Cemetery in Cairnie???  (Read 6193 times)

Offline leslie48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stalking the Dead--my favorite past-time!
    • View Profile
2nd Cemetery in Cairnie???
« on: Saturday 28 May 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if perhaps was a second cemetery in Cairnie, besides the one at Cairnie church.  So many of our family came from that area, and when we visited Scotland in 2000 we went through the one at the church.  We found a lot of our ancestors, but there were a lot that we weren't able to find.  Does anyone know of another one in the area, perhaps an older one? 

Thanks.

Leslie in Florida
Researching:  Auld, Innes, Hay, Robertson and Morrison from Aberdeenshire, Scotland; and Dickinson and Whittaker from Cheshire and Lancashire England

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Cemetery in Cairnie???
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 05 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Leslie48,
Have you tried putting your names in the monumental inscriptons, online.... to see if they were buried at another cemetery nearby?
I found some of mine in a different, Church yard.

http://www.abdn.net/mi-index/

kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline leslie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've tried that, and I did find some of them, but not the ones from the Cairnie area.  My husband was raised over there--near Insch, so he knows the area fairly well.  He's been all over looking at various cemeteries, but was only able to find one in Cairnie.  That's why we were wondering if there might be a second one that he wasn't aware of.  It would probably be older than the one at the church.
Researching:  Auld, Innes, Hay, Robertson and Morrison from Aberdeenshire, Scotland; and Dickinson and Whittaker from Cheshire and Lancashire England

Offline sandy47sk

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
Ruthven Parish was amalgamated with Cairnie Parish in the 18th century and there is a Kirkyard at  Ruthven a few miles north of Cairnie. There are some stones there but few are legible.
          Sandy Archibald
           Edinburgh
Parishes of Huntly Cairnie and Glass,Aberdeenshire
Archibald,Dey,Jessiman,Gibb,Pirrie

Offline leslie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 05 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information.  It's too bad the stones are unreadable, but I guess after all this time it's to be expected.  Thanks again for your help.

Leslie

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Leslie, I have quite a few Innes names in my tree from the Fordyce/Enzie/Port Gordon and Aberdeen areas... would that be any interest to you?

Lindsay
Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline leslie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 10:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would be very interested in any of your Innes information.  Even if they aren't 'mine', I have another Innes researcher from Canada that I share my info with.  If they aren't mine, perhaps they'll be hers.

Thanks

Leslie

Offline knorthd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a 2nd cemetery it is called Ruthven Kirkyard if you have a name i can check if they are buried their. :) karen