Author Topic: 1500's Looking for Barnards of Barrow Upon Soar  (Read 4630 times)

Offline desposito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1500's Looking for Barnards of Barrow Upon Soar
« on: Monday 08 October 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for an Alice UNKNOWN, b. circa 1500.  Second wife of William Barnard of Barrow Upon Soar.

William Barnard s first wife was Joan UNKNOWN and second wife Alice.  She is my direct maternal ancestor and my source of the DNA U5b1d1.  Knowing her maiden name would be very helpful as the DNA seems to reflect Celtic origins.  It is said at his tomb there are effigies of both wives beside him.

William and Alice had a daughter named Agnes Barnard b. 1535 who married Robert Braham.  They had a daughter name Philippa Braham who married in the Cave family line.

Who is Alice UNKNOWN and does anyone have further information on the Barnard paternal line?  In Williams will he speaks of Lord and Lady Huntington and an Uncle Robert Parret or Pathet.   Alice remarried after William to a Sacheverelle.

Binford of Kent
Annesley of Nottingham
Colley of Scotland
Mays of Bedfordshire
Barnards of Leicestershire

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: 1500's Looking for Barnards of Barrow Upon Soar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Deposito,

Welcome to Rootschat.

I did look into your family last night up until 12am. I think because of the years mentioned
you might not find alot of help because its hard to find the information you
require and also, if people have been searching like me for donkey years to get
back to 1495 we will consider you have done well. My best is 1552 just on one family ;D

If did find just little things on my search for you and it included a link maybe to my own
ancestry of the Fowlers dating back to 1435.  I have still to search more tonight to see
if it is my family.

I first of all went through the Lord and Lady of Huntingdonshire.  There is alot of information
about them and about the time of Williams WILL the Earls were Catherine and Francis

The surname of Parret is in the top 1,000 surnames of the 1500's.

I then was taken by my search to the Ladies in Waiting of the Royal Queens of the 1500's.

I found the following 
Katherine Digby daughter of Sir Thomas Digby and Dorothy Oxenbridge.
Sir Thomas was knighted by Henry V11 at Bosworth Field.
Dorothy was widowed and married her 2nd husband Eustace Braham.

Would seem the Brahams, Barnards, and the Parrets were somehow connected to
the Earls of Huntingdon.  Havent found the clue how yet after about 5 hours search.
It is so sparse in those days and the Bishops Transcripts didnt start until about 1589.

I also found a Alice Parret with a Robert in Yorkshire
Unfortunately it doest state what year and if it is a marriage?

The only people somehow registered in history were either related to or living with
famous Royal families.   

I found a great site which registered  the Ladies of waiting of the Queens of the
1500's and they were married into money but had to be of a higher status than
a peasant.   I also found in those searches your family the Caves who were marrying
the Huntingdonshires. So might be worth a few hours looking on these
sites for Gentry if you want to find the Barnards. 

Hope you find what you are looking for

regards Sandymc  8) 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline desposito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Blimey Sandy I think I'm closer now.  I totally appreciate your help.  I have more info and I'm going to check out what you said too.

This is a post I found from Roots web.  I tried to contact this man but the email is OLD, from 2001

Has anyone researched either of these surnames. William Barnard, esquire, died in Barrow upon Soare in 1556 and Robert Braham, his son-in-law died there in 1600. I have transcribed each of their wills (and my transcriptions are subject to error in interpreting the script).
William"s monument in Barrow church depicts him and his 2 wives, Joan and Alice, and 18 children. There are indications of only three daughters in the will -- Anne wife of Richard Paye and mother of William, Agnes the youngest daughter later married Robert Braham and a daughter who had married John Hasard and apparently d. without issue. Alice also survived him. He also mentions Robert Pathet or Parret "my uncle", and makes bequests to "my master" Lord Huntington and to Lady Huntington. Richard Barnard is a witness.
Robert made his will about 1685 and large portions are deleted which makes them more difficult to read. He mentions his daughter Phillippa Cave, his wife - Agnes, a brother Lawrence Braham and a sister, Dorothy Braham.
A deed to the present Guild Hall of Leicester was made to him in 1563 and is on their web site.
Can anyone help me with further data on this family? Thanks.
Jim

And now I will attach the only evidence I've found, Qurondon Records
Binford of Kent
Annesley of Nottingham
Colley of Scotland
Mays of Bedfordshire

Offline desposito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
The most important thing is finding out WHO Alice was and why all records for her only show her First name?  Is that odd?  Do you think perhaps she was a Barnard too?  A cousin he married maybe?

I need Alice to trace my maternal haplogroup which seems to be Celtic.

Binford of Kent
Annesley of Nottingham
Colley of Scotland
Mays of Bedfordshire

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I dont think it was unusual for a womans name not to be mentioned.  Maybe she
was a Parret and that would still make her a cousin.
I think you are lucky to have found as much info as you have.  Dont forget women
did not have the status above a man in those days.  Elizabeth 1 was lucky fate took
her to the top.
As William Barnard was a Squire that means he was a servant of a Knight. Probably
one of the Huntingdon crowd.  I did on my many pages last night see the Caves,
Stanleys, Herbert, one of the family members was married to Lord Montague who
was up in Scotland.  I read so much now sorry but forgot the gist of everything.
You need to look at the information mentioned as it is good.
I also found a Hon George Fowler Hastings who was the 2nd son of the 12 Earl.
He could be my relative as we have lots of George Fowlers who were Squires up in Yorkshire.
So thanks for the lead  ;D

You might be able to find Alice eventually

regards Sandymc 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline desposito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

I'm going to dive into this tonight.  Why do I get the feeling the Barnards were from Scotland?

I also have a feeling that Alice was either a Parret, Barnard or another close family.  She was his second wife.  I can't find any information on his first wife either, Joane or Joan was her name. 
Binford of Kent
Annesley of Nottingham
Colley of Scotland
Mays of Bedfordshire

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I dont know if you found my PM I sent you the other night?
On it I have copied a longish section of an old record with
the name of William and Robert Barnard on it.
It was too long to type it all out and we have to put our
own information on here.
I mentioned William was a Squire to a knight and its regarding
the Treason of a Knight called Richard Charleton.

Let me know what you think

regards Sandymc 

Offline desposito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Sandy, Yes I retrieved the message, thank you again for all the information.  Things are so foreign to me because I'm not Brittish, I would have never figured out he was a Knight or what a purser was...........it's just not something known in the American Vocab you know?

I did searches for Squires William Barnard and got nothing except the article you posted however I don't know if it's the same person.

I'll keep searching, I'm determined to find Ms. Alice Unknown
Binford of Kent
Annesley of Nottingham
Colley of Scotland
Mays of Bedfordshire