Author Topic: Donald Coull and Catherine Chisholm of Rafford Edinkillie  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Coull and Catherine Chisholm of Rafford Edinkillie
« on: Tuesday 09 October 12 04:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me information on Donald Coull and his wife Catherine Chisholm of Rafford, (Moray),  who were the parents of twins John Coull and Donald Coull born at Rafford, Edinkillie on 24/05/1833. 
Also
Francis Brown and wife Elispet Wood parents of Isobel Brown born 14/05/1834 at Knockando (Moray).
John Coull and Isobel Brown were married at Greens (Edinkillie) on 3/02/1860, two years before they migrated to Tasmania Australia in 1862.  They had two children Ann Coull b. 8/4/1860 at Rafford and a son Alexander b. 3/07/1861 also at Rafford.
Would appreciate any assistance with Donald Coull and Catherine also the locations of Rafford, Edinkillie, Moray  and Knockando.  I had thought they were districts in Inverness.
Graham: Donegal Ireland, NSW Australia, Scotland
Eyles/Isles: Australia NSW,QLD, Vic;  England, Hampshire, Wiltshire,
Kent: England, Moulton Sussex; Australia, NSW, Qld; New Zealand;
McNamara: Ireland,  Australia NSW, Qld,
Coull/Cowell: Scotland Inverness; Australia Tasmania, NSW, Old, Vic

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Coull and Catherine Chisholm of Rafford Edinkillie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Two free, on-line resources which might help you are:

The Libindx site run by Moray Council, which allows you to search for specific people.

The National Library of Scotland maps website, which gives you on-screen access to old maps of Scotland, including Roy's mid eighteenth century one, which is quite detailed, and large scale 19th century Ordnance Survey maps.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Gravestone in Edinkillie

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/Ghostwhisperer_01/2012/191.jpg

In memory of Francis Brown, Farmer, Greens, Edinkillie who died 3rd Jan 1856 aged 72 and of his sons Alexander who died 15th Jan 1855 aged 16 and of his wife Elspet Wood who died 22nd Jan 1882 aged 84 years. Peter died 3rd June 1905 aged 62 years.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
Rafford, Edinkillie and Knockando are three parishes in the County of Moray. They have nothing to do with the burgh, parish or county of Inverness.

They are also mutually exclusive - in other words if your ancestor was born in the parish of Rafford, he or she cannot have been born in the parish of Edinkille, and vice versa. The IGI at www.familysearch.org says that the twins were baptised in Rafford. You can and should view the original baptism record at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

See http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/MOR/ for information about these parishes. The parish of Edinkillie is south and west of Forres. The parish of Rafford is south and east of Forres. Knockando is further south and east again, separated from the parish of Rafford by the parish of Dallas.

John and Isabella are in the 1861 census at Stonyford, Rafford, but I can't find any of them in 1841 or 1851 at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - maybe someone with access to a different index may be able to find them.

If you go to http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ0455 and click on the map you will see where Ston(e)yford is.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 Census transcription that Forfarian has found Ann Coull age 73 is described as a half sister to John age 27(not sure how that works out ?)

On the 1841 Census transcription Ann Caull age 45 farmer born Outside Census County is living at
Stoneyfoord Rafford with a John Chishom age 9 born Moray

1851 - Ann Coul age 59 farmer , living Stonyfoord Rafford with a John Milla age 18 born Rafford

As Forfarian suggests it would be worth looking at the original 1833 baptism

Also Scotlandspeople website has a death for an Ann Coull 1867 Rafford Moray , born c1791  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
To ev, Forfarian. ghostwisperer & GR2...   my sincere thanks for your help, this information is going to be invaluable to me as i will now be able to identify where our ancestors were when we come to Scotland next year in search of living relatives.  Thanks for the photo ghostwisperer. 
I am most grateful to you all, as our ancestors changed their name to 'Cowell' and gave us years of headaches trying to unravel the story from Australia.  The people on 'rootschat' are the most helpful I have ever come across.
Glen
Graham: Donegal Ireland, NSW Australia, Scotland
Eyles/Isles: Australia NSW,QLD, Vic;  England, Hampshire, Wiltshire,
Kent: England, Moulton Sussex; Australia, NSW, Qld; New Zealand;
McNamara: Ireland,  Australia NSW, Qld,
Coull/Cowell: Scotland Inverness; Australia Tasmania, NSW, Old, Vic