Author Topic: The Shipman family of Thelwall Heyes in Grappenhall & Thelwall, near Warrington  (Read 5975 times)

Offline NathanHead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any stories, details or memories of Walter Mace Shipman B.A, Manchester Solicitor, who resided (among many other manors) at Thelwall Heyes in Grappenhall/Thelwall in the early half of the 20th Century.

after he died, two of his daughters lived there and would hold regular fetes and events for the local community. Flower shows, craft fairs, family fun days, christmas parties etc

I have some information, and photographs, but I was wondering if anybody had any personal experiences or memories?

brief rundown of the three Shipman sisters-
Miss Beatrice Joan Shipman (b. 22nd November 1898 d. 1979) moved to Trafford when she was younger and that’s where she died aged eighty-one. Miss Edith Marian Mace Shipman (b. 1898 d. 19th January 1979) and Miss Brenda Mace Shipman (b. March 1901) remained in the Heys as spinsters into their elderly years, Miss Brenda did marry in 1925 to an older gentleman called Thomas G Hill (b. 1854 d. 1939) but he died eleven years into their wedding. I don't have the year that Miss Brenda died, I can't find it anywhere, I assumed she is the last one to die (in the 80s sometime, according to local story).

ps the attatched pictures are: two photographs of one of the Shipman sisters (Miss Brenda), a picture of Thelwall Heyes during the Great War when it was a temporary medical facility, a picture of one of the flower arranging events at Thelwall Heyes and also a picture of a teddy bear competition at one of the craft fairs at the Heyes.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Shipman family of Thelwall Heyes in Grappenhall & Thelwall, near Warrington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Deaths - Brenda Mace Hill aged 82 born  30.1. 1901
March qtr 1983   Trafford  39  2212

There were children born to the Hill/Shipman marriage but details cannot be posted here as they could still be living
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline NathanHead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Shipman family of Thelwall Heyes in Grappenhall & Thelwall, near Warrington
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Carole

some of the family are shown as dieing (or having deaths registered) in Trafford, but they were at Thelwall until they died, all of them.
They did have a summer house in lake Windermere as well as a home in Timperley.

How did you find the details of the Shipman/Mace Children? I understand you don't wish to post them publicly, but I would like to know for my own research at least. all the best x

ps . This info you gave does help a great deal, thank you.
but the main reason for my posting was to gather more stories and memories from when the halls were opened up and used to house local fetes and fairs and events.

Aside from the photographs I have, the only other person I've been able to get stories from are my own family!

it would be awesome to get someone else's story and memories of the Shipman sisters and Thelwall Heyes

Offline Gillianmargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My grandmother and step-grandfather lived in several of the cottages on the Thelwall Heyes Estate and my Gran acted as housekeeper to the two sisters who I knew as Miss Joan and Miss Molly. I was allowed to accompany my Gran whilst she worked at 'the big house' in the school holidays from when I was a little girl until one of the sisters died and the house was sold (1967-1980).  I have fond memories of them both and recall lots of features of the house and the way they lived. To a little girl it was very grand - a bit upstairs/downstairs as I was not to speak until spoken to and never to make a noise!The house was beautifully furnished with a faded grandeur about it, large grand piano in the front bay window which looked down the drive, wonderful red carpet on the huge staircase, lots of old grandfather clocks, big old kitchen with a warm aga and grans rocking chair next to it, really cold pantry and really really spooky attic rooms which I never went in alone! Miss Molly was of large build and very jolly whilst Miss Joan was thin and wiry with a sharp tongue but they were both lovely to me. My grandparents and one other lady from another cottage were the only domestic help they had and in the 70's this was ideal but as the sisters got older it became harder for all. My Step-grandfather was born in the local vicinity and had known the family all his life, I do have a suitcase of old photos somewhere of the summer fetes held in the garden as his Mother was a regular competitor and winner! My Gran used to visit the house in the Lakes but I can't quite recall the name but it will be in the paperwork somewhere - was it Cleebarrow? My memories are of warm summer evenings playing in the old school house in the garden, picking the vegetables for the 'old ladies' dinner and collecting the eggs for breakfast, happy memories indeed. :)

Offline NathanHead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:05 GMT (UK) »
thanks! that is an amazing story

I possibly have photographs of you! I have a few from their events in the tent and also a few group shots with the Shipmans on the steps of the house with a few local children

do you know any of my relatives?

my great grandmother Ada Richards (nee Moulsdale)?

her son Evan Richards? my great uncle Evan lived at the lodge at the entrance to the Heyes until he died a few years ago

Offline NathanHead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
oh by the way
the house in the lakes was called Cleabarrow Hall, I believe

Offline Gillianmargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I think you and I are related by marriage as I am Evan and Beatrice Richards Grand-daughter Gillian.  I assume you are Davids Son? I remember your grandmother Joan very well and a little of your grandad Vin (always counting money) and their lovely house with a massive garden! I vaguely remember Evans mother - a tiny little woman who was always giving me lemonade and kept chickens in her garden, your great grandad was an old man when my memories start and didn't move from his chair too much.  They were a lovely family, very close which was just as well as they all lived a stones throw from each other all their lives.  I think your great grandad had a hard time getting work after WW1 and originally came from Herefordshire (was he a horse man?) and possibly came here to find work, there are still Moulsdale relatives locally or at least there were in 2004. Evan was a staunch Labour supporter and put that down to his Fathers disappointment at not being able to find work after the war and having to leave Herefordshire which was a place he loved. I looked after Evan up until his death and he was full of stories, there are still a few of his friends around who might have better memories than me. Regards

Offline NathanHead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Well stone me! Haha

Hello Gillian!
We really should exchange emails, I have so much to talk about!

Please use our personal message system to exchange email addresses.  This avoids spamming etc.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought.  Thelwall and Grappenhall are both in Cheshire.  Timperley too is in the same county.  Not sure what the requirements are but it may be worth contacting that board as well.  The same message on two boards can cause confusion I know.  Maybe the Moderator can offer advice.

Best wishes
Reiver