Author Topic: Blaenau Death, burial in St Michael's, Llan Ffestiniog?  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Blaenau Death, burial in St Michael's, Llan Ffestiniog?
« on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a grave for a Robert Roberts who died in Blaenau in 1872.  I can't find any cemeteries in Blaenau that were open in 1872 (I think Bethesda opened in 1885 and St David's was even later), so I'm wondering where I should look now.  Can anyone help please. 

I wondered if he might be buried in St Michael's in Llan Ffestiniog.  I think he was a nonconformist but I think some churches had a section of graveyard for nonconformist burials.  Does anyone know if St Michael's did?

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blaenau Death, burial in St Michael's, Llan Ffestiniog?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 14:13 BST (UK) »

Possibly, Parish registers held on film at Merioneth Archives,  located at;

Ffordd y Bala, Dolgellau, LL40 2YF
Tel 01341 424682

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/MER_PR.html

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
There are two burials for Robert Roberts in Ffestiniog in 1872.

27th February age 44 of Tabernacle Terrace. An Edward Roberts, age 25, of the same address was buried on 4th March.
6th May age 39 of Hafodruffydd.

The records are for St David's, presumably at Blaenau Ffestiniog, built in 1842.
See http://www.churchinwales.org.uk/bangor/diocese/parish_details/ardudwy/dewisantblaenauffestiniog.html

David

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for responding David and Mc

The burial of 6 May of Robert Roberts aged 39 of Hafodruffydd is definitely the one I was looking for.  I didn't know St David's was open as early as that.  I wouldn't even have looked there.

Is the information from the burial records for St David's which will be at the Merioneth Archives or from memorial inscription records?  I am hoping to get up to north Wales early next year and it would be good to know what records I need to consult.  I'm hoping that Robert's wife Laura is buried with him but I will have to do some homework to find out when she died first, I know she was born in 1832 but haven't established when she died yet but I think it was after 1881.

Many thanks for your help.

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
You can see the index on http://www.findmypast.co.uk but you will have to pay to view the full details. The only Laura with a near date was born in 1836 and died in 1917 but I am not sure if it is the same church.

The burial records will be at Dolgellau and possibly Caernarfon but check the opening times before you go. I am not sure about memorial inscriptions but an email to Dolgellau might be worthwhile.

David

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
That's very helpful David.

I have a feeling that the Archives in Glamorgan might have findmypast so I will be able to check it out with a bit of luck as I'm only 15 miles away.

I will probably get up to Merioneth next Easter so will be able to check the original info in Dolgellau then.

Many thanks, Ninian

Offline Hefin_Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 12 14:54 GMT (UK) »
In regard to Robert Roberts, a blacksmith who was living at Hafod Ryffudd in 1871.  Are you attempting to identify his parents? If so I know who he is.
Hefin

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hefin

As you can see I have been trying to help a friend (originally from Blaenau but now in Australia) track down where his ancestors Robert and Laura(Lowri) Roberts might be buried.  My friend's connection to them is through their daughter Catherine who married James Rowland in Blaenau.  It seems that Robert (but probably not Laura) is buried in Blaenau Ffestiniog (or at least there was a burial record for him in St David's) but that's as far as I've been able to take it til I get to Blaenau next year. 

This Robert and Laura seem to be the ones living at Hafod Ryffudd - Robert being a blacksmith, born at Rhydgaled, Llangian & Laura being (I think) Laura Williams, b Llangfihanel Bachellaeth on the Lleyn. They married in Quarter 4 1852(?).

I know my friends haven't got back any further, so they would be grateful for any info you might have on Robert, his parents, Laura or anything really about the family.

Regards Ninian 

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 queries of interest

HEFIN JONES
I note that you know Robert Roberts who married Laura, do you know names of their children

NINIAN
I am currently working on one of Robert and Laura's daughters (Robert Roberts / Laura Williams m.1852). I know who this daughter married and she had 9 children of which only 3 survived beyond 1911. Of the three that survived one died under the knife during an operation at the Memorial Hospital, Blaenau Ffestiniog. After his death his widow and 4 children plus 1 / 2 spouses emigrated to Australia in the early 1950's

You mention a connection to a Catherine but do you know the names of Catherine's sisters